Monday, February 22, 2010

Atheists don't exist?

I was in Drama today and our teacher was grading our Macbeth papers (and commenting on how much crappy cheaters we all are =P) when one of my classmates started talking about her weekend. She's a little religious, which I don't mind too much. She talked about those times when the preacher starts praying for you. Y'know, when they touch your forehead and you start shaking and sometimes pass out. I didn't make much comments on it, even stopped myself from explaining why it happened and that it wasn't "the spirit" making you react that way. But either way I wanted to tell them something that happened to my friend that went to a Christian school.

So at the beginning I pointed out that she was atheist, because I thought it would be rather interesting in their eyes. The girl sitting next to me asked me what it meant. I told it her that it meant one didn't believe in god. She kind of went all "Ohhhhhhhh," and then said something along the lines of "Well it's not really true. It doesn't exist. Cuz like, you say you don't believe, but deep inside you know you do."

Uhm....what? That may be true for some people, but not for all. Just because someone doesn't believe in a certain god it doesn't mean that they're pushing it back and holding it deep inside of them. It just means they don't believe. That's it.

The thing is, that kind of bothered me because I'm an atheist. And, look, I don't care whether you believe or not. As long as a person doesn't try to interfere with my life or the life of others, then there's no need for me to care what you believe in. It's your choice. But for the same reason I don't say. "Oh, please. Now a days people don't even believe. They just say they do, but deep inside, they know they don't."

Who am I to say what a person believes or doesn't believe. I know this argument has been brought up many times, but I still had to write it. Mostly because it reminded me of what happened in History class. (The girl who made the comment from above is in this class too. I kind of consider her a friend, and she does too I suppose.) We were studying how priests and nuns used to live their life long ago, during the Middle Ages, when the question came up of why they were always so busy and never had much distractions. The correct answer, of course, was that they did this so they could completely focus on their prayers and mostly everything related to God. Some guy said "Yeah, but, it's not necessary. Because they're not living life how God wants them to."

Or something along those lines. I don't know exactly why he said it or what else someone else said. But out of nowhere they started talking about atheists. My classmates kept saying the same thing yet wording it differently; that people turn atheistic because they asked god for something and he didn't give it to them, so they lost their faith. Or they lost someone they loved and refused to believe anymore.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but after the 4th time someone said that, I was raising an eyebrow and getting annoyed. Finally I pointed out that people may become atheist because religion just doesn't make any sense to them, science gives them answers to all the questions. I left out the fact that they truly shouldn't all just pain atheists as poor fellows or spoiled children that didn't get what they want. When I turned atheist it was pretty straight forward. We all grow and change differently. Some change greatly, others do not. That doesn't mean it's bad. But generalizing so much about one entire group based on a certain number of people is wrong. Not only that, but it also gets annoying.

I'm not trying to paint myself as a Special Snowflake and say I was the only atheist in that classroom, but I was the only one to say that. Others probably didn't say anything because I had a) already said what was needed or b) weren't as bothered about it as I was. Or maybe something else that I don't know off. Either way that's what went down.

Anyways, that's all for today. Sorry for not updating. I don't know about the Gamer Girl thing...but I'm still thinking about it.

Gotta go eat pizza!
Becky

As of Today:
Book: Macbeth (it's gotten easier to read since I took drama class)
Anime: Ergo Proxy.
Movie: Haven't seen any new ones.
Mood: Hungry
Listening to: Pandora station "Led Zeppelin" Song: "Your Time is Gonna Come." - Jimmy Page
Should really be studying...: For English.
Scifi Novel word and page count: 73,503 words and 147 pages.
Planning to write: Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:58 PM

    I've actually been thinking about watching Ergo Proxy recently, it's so puuuurty.

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.