Sunday, May 29, 2011

Beauty, truth?

I find it odd how it's apparently impossible to find beauty in this world unless there's something "divine" behind our very existence.

I can hear it now, I can hear him telling the rest how even though he understands cells and tissues and organs and the chemical composition of everyone, that there has to be something more. Something more that makes us individuals and unique beings that live and breath and love and think.

I'm tempted to (I'm always tempted to say something, it seems, I just never do) ramble on about neuron connections in the brain, the frontal lobe, the peripheral cortex, amygdala, or whatever I can remember from my psychology class that could explain half of the things he's sounding so poetic about. It's almost like that argument I had with some senior girl in art class who was saying, "I can't believe in love anymore." and my response was, "You don't believe in a chemical reaction caused by your brain when you're near someone of your affection? Oh-kay."

It's like the moment someone says "scientific" all people can think of is "cold, calculative, etc." When we look at clouds, the sky, the flowers, an animal in the wild, it's almost taboo to imagine their composition, the chemical bonds, the working features because that's not considered beautiful. What's considered beautiful is our interpretation, the elegance or distinction of the subject. Although that is beautiful, isn't the composition, the bonds, the science behind it just as beautiful?

It's kind of odd how I was thinking about this just in biology class, when we were studying genetic mutations. In one of the slideshows she showed us the picture of an Indian girl, Lakshmi Tatma, who had been born with eight limbs. She paused for a moment to explain that in India they had revered her to be the incarnation of a goddess and was treated as such. The whole class laughed, all while staring in amazement at the picture of the young girl while my teacher went on to describe why it had happened, as well as show us other pictures.

On my way out of class and to my homeroom I realized that believing she was the incarnation of a goddess makes about as much sense as...well, anything Christians here believe, or any other religion for that matter. If she had been born many years ago, in India she would have been praised as a goddess, here she might have been deemed a posses child, etc. But none of it would be true. Her eight limbs weren't the result of a grand deity or evil spirit, they were the result of a parasitic conjoined twin that hadn't actually developed completely. (Which in of itself is incredible).

So if that can be explained and brush aside the idea of a god or goddess causing the girl to have eight limbs, why can't the beginning and the functions of the universe be explained as well? Do we truly need a divine being or beings that started it all?

What has annoyed the most was that a few weeks ago, when we were starting human evolution, my teacher felt the need to say "Disclamer: I'm not telling you God doesn't exist. I'm just saying, from a scientific perspective, that this happened. That's all! It doesn't mean God isn't real."

Uhm...okay? That was bloody necessary. And I can't even blame her, because I know someone, in some class, at some point would have created some B.S because of it.

Gha! I used to like religion, even if it was something I could never make myself attached to, but it seems I'm growing more and more bitter towards it :/

~ Becky.

P.S: I changed my icon so it could be me in the picture o.o' plus I edited it...like a hipster >_>' -shot-

P.P.S: Also, why do I keep signing these posts? It says at the very bottom who's posting it so...yek O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.