Saturday, December 31, 2011

Father To Us All

Happy Late Birthday, Spirit! She turned thirteen on the 25th of December :D Woo~
Oh and I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

Just recently I finished watching the fifth season of my generation's Doctor Who. Yes I love the actors, the characters, the pacing, the plot. I love the fact that Karen Gillan is 5'11 and a redhead. I love how utterly adorkable Matt Smith is as both the Doctor and just himself. I love River Song and have come to the conclusion that--just like a lot of male characters named John--River charries are just epic. I love the fact that it deals with Time Travel (a subject I will never be brave enough to tackle) in a way that is plausible and interesting. And I've been wondering something in particular. Well, two things, but I'll talk about the simplest one right now.

Ever since Wilfred told the Doctor that we must look like insects to him due to our short lifespan, and he answered with "You look like giants," I have been thinking...why? Why did the eleventh Doctor step forward to an alien specie that threatened to have all of Earth go up in flames and basically tell him that he's been the father-protector of the human race for years? Touch us and you're a goner, so you better run. Why does he seem to always come back for us? He's saved more than one planet, I know, but he's really only taken human companions for extended periods of time, and I'm not sure if other species have his phone number--as of yet, I haven't seen anyone else but us phone him.

At first, I thought it was because we look Time Lord, so maybe he ends up making some kind of unknown connection with humans since we possibly remind him of his people. Then I thought it was because of that thing he has where he can't stand to see children suffering so he intervenes to make sure the innocent are alright in the end. But it's not like other creatures don't have children, and neither of those things justify the giants comment.

From a producer/writer/audience stand point, it's because the target audience is the human race and we don't much mind the prospect of a 900+ year old alien creature taking care of us and having adventures within our world. I'm not about to go down the route of "We humans are evil! We have killed each other and our planet and other creatures! We are VERMIN that deserve to die! Why would anyone choose to save us?" Because I've thought that way before and was horribly wrong then so I'll still be horribly wrong now. I won't say that just as I won't say we're super special snowflakes and no one else in the universe compares. After all, we are individuals, good and bad, and judging the whole race as selfish bastards who only kill or as wonderful creatures who love and feel is both immature and unfair.

It's just that it is in that context I can't imagine a reason why anyone could take up the task of saving the Earth so much. There are good people, but there are also plenty bad. The Doctor doesn't seem to mind what side we fall on, all he's trying to do is save every living thing. I think it's always been difficult, in all forms of fiction, to portray human beings in a way that isn't forced. If we are shown as horrible bastards who love genocide and the suffering of others, it's a social commentary on the evils of humanity and how we must overcome that. But that's just tacky and boring, and every ninth grader and above thinks that during their emo period. Sometimes writers take the route of appearing like they're making the commentary that humans are horrible parasites that suck the life out of the planet while in reality the narrator/main character/villain comes to the conclusion that the majority of the human race is thriving for something better and growing.

I honestly don't know. My general opinion now a days is to hate everyone who is pretentious and sounds pretentious--and that's a lot of people, including myself. So that's my thoughts of the human race; we're really goddamn pretentious. That's still not enough to formulate a "should we die, should we live, should we be protected?" opinion, so I won't even try to tackle it.

Although the Doctor has never been one to agree with violence and he always seems to try to save everyone and everything, his relationship with the entire human race is fascinating. I don't much care for episodes where he's saving the entire planet (just as I don't much care for episodes dealing with the past--with the exception maybe of Vincent and the Doctor) but he always seems genuinely concerned on a personal level. People have died for him and he's tried to sacrifice himself for us a couple of times.

I think what I like best about the series are his relationship with his companions--mostly the non-romantic ones. I know that makes very little sense, but it's a type of love I can't pinpoint but can somehow understand. When Rose and Martha had the hots for tenth!Doctor, it didn't diminish them as characters, but I think it did kind of hold back the relationship from developing a bit, especially with Rose. I've seen a lot of fanfics of Amy and the Eleventh Doctor, but I honestly like it more when he hates her human side and when he sees her as the seven year old Amelia Pond with the scary crack on her wall and when they're both screaming for each other to be safe and well. It's a type of love that doesn't rely on sexual or romantic undertones (even though it seems Amy wanted to head in that direction in one episode >.>) but on a different level. Just a love that deals with wanting to be with one another and keep the other. That's why I think I loved Donna as a companion, even though I hardly ever hear her get mentioned. I thought her acting as the Doctor's moral side was brilliant, and they both just seemed to care for each other a lot. He might be trying to save the entire human race because he's just that kind of being and has met quite a few open minded and great individuals, but he's a father to us all because he loves the few humans who travel with him and care for him in the purest sense of friendship and love.

Which sounds really cheesy when I say it like that, but hopefully I made my point >.>

Also, watching the Doctor makes it difficult not to imagine Damien--Carp/Lyra's character--in most of his situations. They hold the same roots, but Damien hasn't been as hot tempered as the Doctor, and he seems to be a bit more random (it's all that "Getting high off the air" business that seems to be affecting the man's brains). I do think we should put him and Cevy here in some epic circumstances though, to show off their badass side, don't you think so, Lyra? 8D

Speaking of which...
Cervantes: No. Not doing it.
Me: Please, Cevy! D8 Damien tagged you.
Cervantes: As if I didn't already follow that maniac into a hundred things. And Cevy? Christ, don't let Glitter Man hear you.
Me: He's probably passed out from overdosing off the air. Now please?
Cervantes: No.
Me: I'll throw glitter on you if you don't. Then you, the Flamboyant King, and Dragon can be the Glitter Trio >D
Cervantes:....
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY:
1. Cervantes
2. León 
3. Professor
I refuse to acknowledge the Stupid nickname, Damien >_>'

THREE SCREEN NAMES YOU HAVE HAD:
This question is just getting a bit too irrelevant with us...

THREE PHYSICAL ASPECTS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
I'll give you one.
1. It doesn't look like I've aged a day since my 25th birthday.

THREE PHYSICAL ASPECTS YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. I suppose I'm a bit short.
2. I'm a failure at fighting.
3. Upon first glance, I look like the guy who spends every night curled up under a bridge with a half empty beer bottle. Ask Damien, we've gotten thrown random money from people just because we were sitting on the sidewalk talking.

THREE NON PHYSICAL ASPECTS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My skepticism.
2. I try to help the unlikeliest of people.
3. The fact that I seem to be the only one to understand the insanest of the insane, Damien Edelwyn. Which I say is a good thing today. Tomorrow...I may be of another opinion.

THREE NON PHYSICAL ASPECTS YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My stubbornness.
2. I ramble too much.
(Dream: I vouch for that.
Me: Hush woman, no commentary).
3. My arguing nature.

THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE:
1. Mexico (although it's sometimes Argentina. Which is stupid. Pick one. Me: I can't! DX)
2. Britain
">3. The Earth

THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
1. The Watchmaker
2. Horrible things have already happened to Damien--and sometimes he doesn't realize it--so I'm afraid more horrible things will happen that will they eat away who and what he is, yet he won't realize it.
3. Seeing those two odd ball little girls be in trouble. I don't want them in harm's way--not even the one who glares at everyone.

THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
1. Homeless clothes.
2. Dog tags.
3. Apple Juice.
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW:
1. Again: homeless clothes.
2. Dog tags.
3. Dirty jacket I think I washed about three months ago.

THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE VIDEO GAME SERIES:
Oh christ--this and the screen names...>_>

THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS:
I've always liked classical Russian music played through melodies of music boxes.
((Me: Wellll look at you Mr. Deep.
Cervantes: -hits with umbrella-))

THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP:
Well, shit.
1. A compatible personality?
2. The opposites attract thing?
3. Honestly, I'm just stealing Damien's answers. I've got no clue.

TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
1. I've been a professor, soldier, and professional criminal.
2. I'm not the age you think I am.
3. Damien can dance.

THREE PHYSICAL THINGS ABOUT THE PREFERRED SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU:
What is up with these questions? I don't think we've ever stopped in our run from god like entities, attempt at understanding of a sentient life form castle for wizards, or quest to keep the strangest of young girls alive and without sane and thought "You know what the three main physical aspects of the preferred sex really appeal to me?"
((Me: Ugh. There goes my dinner.
Cervantes: Don't put me with stupid questions next time >_>))

THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES:
1. Reading, of course.
2. Taking things apart.
3. Watching Damien try to dance. Honestly...

THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW
1. Find the "I'm With Stupid" shirt.
2. Drink some apple juice on a whiskey shot.
3. Meet more odd fellows. I heard there's two redheads and a young boy who are in this killing people business. You'd be interested too.


THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING/YOU'VE CONSIDERED:
1. Professor.
2. Historian.
3. Again, professional criminal. Let's leave it at that.
((Dream: Lucky...)).

THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION:
1. Scottland.
2. Parts of Africa.
3. Mexico again, just to see what remains there after I've left (or Argentina. Honestly. Pick one).

THREE NAMES YOU LIKE:
1. Fenrir.
2. Christina.
3. David.

THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
1. Confront the Watchmaker.
2. Get rid of the chains.
3. Take all that glitter and suspicious air away from Damien.

THREE ASPECTS OF YOU THAT ARE STEREOTYPICAL FOR A BOY:
1. I really look like a goddamn homeless man.
2. Generally athletic in a runner's way (I'm good at the flight, not at the fight).
3. A common theme: I'm full of bruises and cuts.

THREE ASPECTS OF YOU THAT ARE STEREOTYPICAL FOR A GIRL:
1. Again, short
2. Can't rely on brute strength while fighting
3. You know what? These are making me uncomfortable. I'm stopping.

THREE PEOPLE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE TAKE THIS QUIZ NOW:
The strange murderer fellow. Demetri? And the young Moriarty redhead. And possibly-
Dream: Clive.
Me: YESSSSSS!!
Cervantes: ._.' Clive it is.


~Becky

P.S: Damn. Just found out the name Arkana--which I used for one of my most beloved characters in a novel I'm currently writing--comes from one of the cards in the Yu-Gi-Oh! show. I hated that show as a kid and I'm sure to despise it now. Fffff- My dad gave me the name, and I can't depart from it. Rotten luck Dx
"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.