Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recently, I might have come under a situation that might require for me to contact a Planned Parenthood near where I live. I got their number online, but decided before calling about a particular question I would read through some of the Q&A. At first, I read the abortion one just to be informed, not because it pertained to what I've been trying to figure out, and did get some interesting information (like apparently there's no such thing as Post-Abortion PTSD and most women who had the procedure often feel revealed rather than traumatize after their decision). Eventually I did move on to other sections, although I don't think my question has been answered fully (yet), I did come across this:
What would be wrong with making teens ask their parents for permission to use birth control? 
Basically, it would lead to more teen pregnancy. Minors seeking sexual health care services at a Planned Parenthood health center in Wisconsin were asked what they would do if they had to tell their parents they were using contraceptives. Nearly half said they would stop going to the clinic. Many others said they would stop using any sexual health care service. But only one percent said they would stop having sexual intercourse. 
Unfortunately, not all young people can trust their parents to be helpful. Some parents are abusive. Many young people don't even have contact with their parents. To keep kids safe and healthy, most states wisely let young people consent to their own medical care for a variety of services. These critical services include counseling, testing, as well as care for mental health problems, drug and/or alcohol addiction, sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy. Planned Parenthood believes that confidential health care is a public health necessity — for the young as well as for adults.
A) This makes perfect sense

B) I guess my respect for Planned Parenthood has gone up.

I'm a teenager, and like most teenagers, I'm kind of a bitch. Whenever I hear John Green say that he writes for teens and doesn't treat us like idiots because we aren't idiots, I feel happy, but also feel like saying, "Uhm, Green, you have not been to my school." as if my school has in somehow the highest population of idiots or shallow people in existence. I don't trust teenagers with a lot of things. I don't trust them--ourselves, myself--to work hard, realize how good we have it, ponder about God, the universe, or the maths, arts, and sciences without doing it for egotistical, shallow reasons or missing the point completely. It seems I, and more than half of the adult population (who I also think are made of idiots. In my book, only young kids and pre-teens make any sense, because they're not yet shallow, not fully stupid, and always curious about something. They're in that stage where they haven't turned to sucky human beings yet) do not trust teenagers for a lot of things. So it's interesting to see institutions like Planned Parenthood and even authors like John Green who realize that it's not right to judge all of us in one schema, and see that those who are smart enough to seek out guidance--especially about things like sexual health--and read great novels should be treated accordingly.

My parents don't treat me like I'm an idiot--they treat me like I'm a teenager. Which is in their right, of course. I am kind of a pain to deal with at this stage. Teachers and counselors at school treat us like wild monkeys, ready to be set off by almost anything, and because they, know about our successes and weaknesses, I feel like maybe they also can't see us exactly as human beings. Not as kids. But as these things who aren't learning, aren't trying hard enough, or don't seem to care. It doesn't matter that internally we are good people--if you're not getting straight A's, a teacher might like you, but you will never be a favorite.

To them, we won't be smart. To Planned Parenthood, John Green, and who knows how many other people in the world, we're at least worth listening to and speaking to.

And I am very grateful for that.
- Becky

P.S: Continuing Still Life--which shall be the first time in a long time in which I have characters based off from real life. Kind of excited. It shall never be published, though, except on here.

P.P.S: Carpathia wrote a really good poem the other day for Valentine's day, and I kind of wish she would post it. For now, it's in our RPing tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.