Saturday, June 23, 2012

Impatiently Annoyed and Annoyingly Impatient

So there's a problem. I'm getting a little too obsessed with publishing now a days. On the one hand, it's good, because I don't want to be surprised and riddled with ignorant mistakes when I'm searching for an agent. After all, I've been reading about querying literary agents for a solid two, maybe three years (since I was working on Redemption, the 120,000 words, unfinished, scifi book that never was) and I'm still learning new things. On the other handdd, it's silly because I don't have a working novel ready, so all I really should just be worrying about is writing the damn thing. I keep looking up agent blogs, and querying related blogs, and I've been planning out my query for the current book I'm writing...

Ugh, why am I so ridiculous?

I figured I need to stay motivated, though, and I really don't want to spend years and years writing the first (first!!!!!) draft of my novel, because I'm sure to never get anywhere with that kind of pacing. I want to write the first draft of Anne's story in a considerable amount of time, from a few (maybe three) months to a year. At the most. Revision, rewriting, critics, etc will get stretched out to much longer time.

So anyways, I figured what I need is a constant, daily word count routine. Currently, I've crawled to 433 words into Anne's story because I started like...an hour ago, and I keep getting distracted. Badbadbad. Based on my experience with procrastinating for English papers in school, I can arguable write pretty decent papers of four to eight pages (double spaced, times new roman, one inch margins) in a day, so giving myself a 2,000 word count minimum per day should not be too difficult.

To keep the encouragement going, I will post it here...somewhere...in a blog post? Off in a little gadget?

Well I'll figure it out.

On other news, I think I forgot to mention I'm going back to Ecuador during the summer for like a week. The trip is more than a little scary but also exciting. I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing my family, simply because I'm a horrible human being who doesn't see much of a purpose in being forced to like and respect people because we share a percentage of similar DNA, but I am excited to see my country again (or at least, that little city). I have very few memories of it, but the ones I chose to focus on are usually the worst possible ones about the social conditions. At eight, seven, six, five I saw the kids on the streets, dirty and without much food, selling newspapers in the corners and sleeping huddled up by the sidewalk, but I don't think I even felt pity for them. I didn't fully understand the severity of their situation, it was just a common thing of life. And back then, for some strange, heavenly reason, I was also under the dilusion that my family didn't have a lot of money (ha!).

Looking back to those memories, I'm very judgmental. But maybe even said memories are horribly tainted. I wish I had an unbiased comparison point, but heaven knows I can't trust my parent's comments on the country all the time. It's just because, like most people, they somehow take pleasure in both insulting their mother country and yet praising its many aspects at the expense of the culture of another's nation. (How many times must I hear how much Cuban food sucks yet ours is a heavenly delight?)

I will not be taking any high-end electronics back to Ecuador, of course. One, I don't want to have them get smashed or torn someplace. Two, I think it might be a little more than uncomfortable to travel around with a laptop, no matter how small, because I'm not going back to lounge around pretty hotels and beaches--I'm going back so the adults can have my (lovely?) company while they get some personal business done. And three, I really don't want to have a reason to get robbed and assaulted on the street.

On that note, reading the U.S's official travel guide to Ecuador was somehow both amusing and troubling. Make of that what you will.

Alright, I'm gonna get back to writing now, and hopefully go buy groceries so I can sneak in some Publix sushi into the shopping cart.

Hmmm...sushi....
~Becky

1 comment:

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.