Monday, July 9, 2012

Scared For Laci Green

Death threats and stalking, because she's a white sex activist, she used certain slurs that offended people some years ago (and apologized for it), and she has criticized Islam.

I'm not going to get into it, I'll just say I'm scared for her.

Within the last few days, I've been spoken to by two religious people from different churches, backgrounds, gender, language, and age, and I've gotten into an argument about feminism. With religion, the two very nice, very sweet, very calm people seem to boil down their argument to this: It doesn't matter what I've done in the past, what I will do in the future, whether I have been sinful or not--or how I will always commit sin even if I do not know it. In the end, what matters is that I believe and accept their respective god.

It doesn't matter if I am an atheist who has never hurt someone. It'd be better if I was someone who shot another in the face but then repented. Only the latter is getting into the kingdom of God in the eyes of these religious people.

How many others think like this?

As for the feminism discussion--it was disguising. So many accusations done to me, elicited by the idiotic comments of others who have dubbed themselves representatives of feminism and the people who believed them to be the norm.

I don't like Islam. I don't like Christianity, Catholicism, Hinduism, any religion. As the days go by, it pains me to think such things because I want to be respectful. I want everyone to be able to believe what they believe without feeling threatened or questioned. But how can I do that? When I see the faith on its own--the rules of the holy books and the actions of the majority of its followers--all I see is primitive and hurtful ideas and actions. And I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't be respectful.

But I will probably always be silent, because even in a free country, words are dangerous.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.