Saturday, September 15, 2012

Nervous or Panic?

Turns out the deadline for YoungArts is just barely within a month, and though I really wanted to finish Enkindled With Chains before picking out the best twenty pages, I am writing this little novella way too slowly. Checking the file, I've been on this project since May 22, and I've only gotten to 24k words. How slow am I?!

I think I'll be able to pop out another 20k (or even just 10k, depending how long the rest turns out to be) by the Alliance of Young Artists and Writers' deadline. But for now, I do think I'm gonna need a good couple of weeks to edit. Plus, in October I'll have the ACT and college applications to worry about, added with all my college classes, so it might be better I do the slightly more manageable thing that is editing.

Or at least it should be and yet it might not be so BECAUSE IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Why do I keep using words like explode when very few things are exploding!?

Why do I keep pointing out that my characters are walking/stalking/flying/leaping forwards/towards/etc?!

Why, for the love of Batman, are my action scenes sucking so much?!

How is it that Dream is doing all these stuff WHILE GETTING HORRIBLY INJURED and then forgetting about it?! Woman YOU HAD A BRUISE THE SIZE OF MY GOVERNMENT TEXTBOOK ON YOUR CHEST, STOP PRESSING YOUR DOLL AGAINST IT!!!!!!

And the line I want to cut off the twenty pages has a few problems:

  1. I can't tell if it's too confusing. Is it clear that as soon as she lands on the ground and shields Muñequita, Kangjŏn shields her? She sees the blue scales surrounding her but...argh, my wording.
  2. The starting point I have for the twenty pages--which is already confusing enough--makes that last paragraph that I want to include in the excerpt breach into 21 pages. I know I should edit, but when I edit and rewrite I do so with MORE words. Gha!

Also, why is the word orange so ugly?! I wanted my second dragon to be named Ilaria and be an Italian dragon colored orange but...that bloody word. It throws off my whole diction! >.< It's like looking at a crowd of business men and women, properly dressed and calm, and then one random bloody clown, right smack in the middle of everything, doing backflips and laughing at you because there's no way to replace him. SCREW YOU CLOWN. I LIKE GREEN JUST AS MUCH.

^As you can see, I'm suffering from major editorial panic. And this is probably Level 1 Editorial Panic. It's certainly no "CUT DOWN 30,000 WORDS FROM YOUR NOVEL AND WE'LL GET BACK TO YOU!"
Dx

Well if I can struggle through it, I'm sending the twenty pages excerpt and under-200-word summary to a test audience and see how they respond. I'm mostly nervous about what my friend Silvia will say since my book has some major no-nos.

I mean, as much as I love Enkindled, even I can tell color coding, stupid descriptive character names, and the standard Alice's Adventures in Wonderland story line is more than overdone. If Silvia can't find good in the excerpt to think my writing makes up for the cliches, then...yeh, I'm not gonna have a chance in YoungArts.

On some lighter news, though, I've decided to start a new science fiction short story! (Or well...I mean, after I'm done editing). The concept is really simple, but I think this could be fun, even if it doesn't go anywhere. Here's a basic hint of what it's about:

Antigone: 31 years old, computer programmer, born in a moon (not specified).
Hamlet: 40 years old, molecular physicist, born in Mars.
Cyrano: 2 years old, artificial intelligence, developed by Antigone and Hamlet, likes chess and origami (when moved to a platform with fingers, that is).

Those two top ones are usernames, by the way, not their real names...
Man, I have got to stop doing this.
~Becky

P.S: I just realized...do I give off too much information over the internet? Yesterday my blogger was full of alarmed posts about the attack on literary agent Pam van Hylckama Vlieg. Since then, she said in an interview she's going to try to be more careful about posting information online, and though she's fine, it's making me really paranoid for all of us >.< Especially after what happened to Laci Green.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I stopped by to see how you were doing and wasn't expecting to see one of my comics referenced. :) Thanks for linking. And yeah, that was pretty horrible, trying to cut stuff like that. 30,000 words is a lot! I didn't really panic though. I just felt like melting through most of it. But I was so happy when I was done.

    Sounds like you're under a lot of stress. It's actually good, because that means you care and you're putting so much of yourself into this. It's great that you're dedicated and serious about this so early in your life!

    And yeah, the attack on Pam was ridiculous. I was actually fooling around on Twitter at the exact time that she started tweeting about the incident, so I saw it all happen in realtime since I follow her. o_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Julie:

    Ahhh, you still read these owo That's so nerve racking AND encouraging. I'll hopefully be happy too when I'm done with the editing and finally send in the submission! xD

    That's so terrifying Dx. I'm glad Pam is okay though, and I'm surprised she's taking it so well.

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.