Friday, November 2, 2012

DarcyDay Survival and Reflection

So yesterday was November 1st.

The priority deadlines for University of Miami (which I purposely missed), University of Florida (which I barely managed), and many others (which I apparently forgot about).

The first day of NaNoWriMo.

The first time my parents let me stay home from school to work on essays and applications rather than because I was sick--because wow they really trust me.

But most important of all.

It was Darcy Day.
At around this exact point, my heart exploded.
Warning: This post gets kind of really girly.

I'll be the first to admit I was a little doubtful about The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I adore Pride and Prejudice, I always have since I read the book and saw the 2005 film when I was twelve years old. While I'm glad Austen has continued to be remembered throughout all these years, I do get ticked off at certain "modernization" of Pride and Prejudice, which, are never truly modernization  They sort of just borrow plot elements and then stick them in high school settings. Not to mention there's a good handful of adaptations from the original work, and tributes to the story, so I wasn't too keen on seeing another one that was done so badly.

The creator of the show, Bernie Su, more or less admits that the first 8-10 episodes are not very good, while I'm of the opinion they didn't really hit the right note until right before the Netherfield arc. So far, though, I've loved how it's progress and adapted, while not being the exact adaption but keeping the spirit of the original work intact. I, like many fans, was flipping out since Monday about the eventual awesomeness that was Darcy Day, which, after months and months of not seeing him, we were finally revealed the illustrious man himself. I keep playing and replaying the episode, simply because, though it starts off a little weird, it grows to a point where I was throwing full fangirl worthy fits of screams and squeals. I'm not even one to care if the quality of the video is about 360p, but for this one, you better believe the only reason I picked 720p instead of 1080p is because my connection and computer would not manage the super HD.

So about a week or two ago, I had to cut ties with someone. Break-up. I don't want to give off too many details, but it was sort of something that made me wonder about all my future relationships.

And of course then Darcy Day hit and it was like the world's most coincidental week(s).

Mr. Darcy is a well known character, as well known as Romeo in terms of Romantic Leading Men, and for some reason, women seem to fall head over heels for him even when he's a total jerk in the first half of the novel. I was just as excited to see Darcy for the first time as all the other fangirls of LBD, but it was mostly because I know that him and Lizzie are both incredibly flawed characters with their own issues to deal with, mistakes to repent for, and much self-reflection to be done.

Whenever I reread Pride and Prejudice or watch any of its adaptions, I tend to be more forgiving of Mr. Darcy, simply because I know he will change and will do everything to help Lizzie because of his love for her. But that doesn't mean I pretend he was ever the perfect man, nor am I ever shocked or angry that Elizabeth could reject him in such a way or be so critical of him. He was not a good and honest man and definitely not worthy of Elizabeth's hand in marriage or (especially) her love. I've seen people who analyze the current episode and also other adaptations, and they seem to imagine Elizabeth feels some sort of attraction or hidden like for Darcy despite her blatant anger toward him, but I am almost certain Austen was convinced that such an notion was ridiculous. Love could have never developed from the current relationship. Even though Elizabeth and Darcy are always very much alike, they would not have lasted had the two of them not changed and learned more about one another and themselves.

It must be for the same reason people mistake Romeo and Juliet as a perfect romance--it really isn't, and I feel like maybe the authors of both these classic works understood that, even if certain people of today don't.

I like to think that even if I haven't been in love or if I've been in really crappy-not-even-worth-it-love, the one that matters springs from Lizzie and Darcy's type of relationship. The type where you are forced to grow and reevaluate yourself and your situation, morals, motives, anything. The best things in life makes us better people, so maybe the same applies for love as well.

Of course, I'm not saying we should change because of a person or that we should force someone to change because of us, but everyone has flaws whether we want to admit it or not, and our friendships and romances and etc's should shape us into better people, one way or another, and it should be because we want to, because those relationships and those people matter more than anything else in the world.

I guess I'm just really looking forward to something so meaningful that I may be so naively idolizing now.

Within this month, I have to write such a complicated relationship like the sisterhood of Sonya and Katya that Austen's writing is really influencing me. Her character's relationships and interactions are always intriguing, to say the least.

So off you go!
~Becky

P.S: I never thought I'd say this, but I am SO HAPPY BOWTIES ARE MAKING A COME BACK :D
"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.