Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Conversations (1)

Now Playing:
  • Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK (guitar hero 3 cover) and God Save the Queen
  • Alice Cooper - School's Out
  • Kiss - I Love It Loud and I Was Made For Lovin' You
  • The Runaways - I Wanna Be Where The Boys Are
  • Suzi Quatro - The Wild One
  • The Doors - Break On Through (To The Other Side)
  • Wolfmother - Woman
"Tour?"

"Yes!"

"Like leaving?"

"Yup!"

"Like leaving school?"

"Christ, I didn't say the world was going to explode tomorrow, we're going on a tour. Why aren't you screaming?"

"Because we can't go?"

"The fuck--why wouldn't we go, Logan?"

"School, Kim! It's senior year and-"

"It's technically sophomore year for Roxy."

"She's coming with us?!"

"She's your back up, dumbass."

"I thought Jason was back-up."

"She's the back-up's back-up."

"No, she isn't."

"Hair and make up?"

"She can't leave school, Kim. She's just a kid!"

"She's sixteen. It's valid. When are we telling your folks?"

"We're not telling them anything! They'll...oh god...oh my god, they'll..."

"Are you having an attack?"

"Contemplating death."

"If you don't want to tell them, I will."

"That's a fucking terrible idea."

"Hey congrats, your first curse word."

"This isn't a joke."

"You fucking bet it's not a joke. We're wasting so much goddamn time standing around instead of preparing for the road--this better not be a joke, Logan. We have to go pack. Think I can take my motorcycle rather than ride with you guys?"

"We're not taking a plane?"

"Does it look like I have 300 dollars for each of us plus the roadies?"

"What are you going to tell your dad?"

"...I...I haven't thought of that...yet."

"Won't he be disappointed?"

"I don't give a shit if he is-"

"Yes you do."

"Well even if I did, that's not enough to stop me. Besides, I could send back money. Assuming we make any."

"You say that like it doesn't matter."

"It really doesn't."

"Yes it does! If we were making money...hell, not even then, but on the slight chance we became millionaires, then maybe leaving school would make sense. But not right now."

"What does it matter? Nick and I are failing over half our classes."

"I'm not! And--you're failing? What about those two AP classes you're taking?"

"Not failing those, failing the others."

"Kim...that's..."

"The reason why pointless subjects like social studies and English shouldn't exist. Then I wouldn't be failing my classes. But I am. So I'm leaving. School's never done anything good for anyone, with or without a diploma or degree, but at least my way is much more fun."

"But Kim-"

"Do you want to stay with your parents?"

"I just-"

"Do you want them to lock you up? Shove you to that pretty little church every day and trap you in an eternity of expectations and neckties?"

"You know that's not-"

"Stay here then, Logan. God knows this town's done so much for us--for all of us. What'll you do? Inherit the business, marry a nice girl, have two point five children."

"What's wrong with wanting a nice, peaceful life?"

"Nothing wrong. But that's not what you want. That's what they want you to want. You know it, and I know it, and they know it. Only difference between us all is that I can admit it. Think you can admit it too?"

(Pause. She moves in closer)

"Come with us, Logan. Come with me?"

"Is that an order or a request?"

"Depends how you like it."

"...you are impossible."

"And you haven't answered my request slash possible order. Come with me--please? You can be the Nancy to my Sid."

"And that means...?"

"Sid Vicious, Logan."

"Jesus. I'm definitely not going."

"Wait--what, why? That was a joke!"

"I don't...I just don't think I'm up for this. Not--god, not that I want to quit. But this might not be good for me, personally, for my future. Wait. That's not what I'm saying."

"Then what are you saying?"

"I don't know if this...lifestyle is for me?"

"Is that a question I'm meant to answer?"

"Kim...you know what I mean."

"Nope. I don't get your worries. Are you afraid you're going to find me in some hotel bathroom with a needle in my arm? Or suicide, maybe? That's a popular one. I know better. We know better. Just come with us."

"But we're still dropping out of school?"

"Yup. Ready to go?"

"...I'll have to tell my parents now. Before I lose my nerve."

"I'll go with you."

"Oh that's not-"

"Come on. I'll go with you. I want to see their faces when you tell them. You can't rob me of that."

"Why is it when you say things like that they sound so...?"

"Easy?"

"Nonlethal."

"It's a gift."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
(From Still Life...apparently.)
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.