Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Now Playing:
  • Pink Floyd - Nobody Home
  • The Beatles - Carry That Weight
  • The Who - We've Got Fooled Again and Pinball Wizard
  • Ten Years After - I'd Love To Change The World*
There's so much crap I have to get through or my acceptance to FSU is gonna get revoked (DON'T FAIL X AND Y CLASSES) but this needs to be documented.

A girl in American Literature go the idea a few weeks ago to put together a little packet from the writers in the class so we could analyze it like we do all other works. My professor had us send her some of our works, which she printed and stapled together for everyone in class.

My work didn't get too many comments, except maybe from a girl who didn't like it because she thought it was "gruesome"  for some reason. I found that a little ironic considering there was a story in the packet about a serial killer cannibal who almost raped a girl. Mine was just about a jerk father, but what do I know?

The hilarious thing about today's class only occurred because one of my classmates was just so goddamn proud of his short story. It's not a bad story, and I liked the voice well enough, especially because he seemed to be trying to pull a J.D. Salinger, but it got really...really silly.

I've never seen anyone analyze and praise their fiction so much. I understand being humble is not inherently a good thing, but this guy was all over the place.

"I switched the tenses because I thought it was a really skillful and efficient way to..."

"And then this line right here, *I walked away feeling like twenty dollars* it's so brilliant! Because like you know how you say *I walked away feeling like a million dollars* well not here, here it signifies all about..."

"It was so controversial the original ending. Because that's how life is, y'know? Nothing happens? Shit just stops? That was the brilliance of the piece..."

"[After he reads us an entire section, which, btw, no one else in the class had done] See I just love that paragraph, it's so perfect."

"And this is my favorite line, because, god, if I could say it to a girl--I should say it to a girl: *She smiled as she spoke, the most adorable form of multitasking*. Isn't that great?"

And he went on how all writers pretty much write from their experiences, and how he really wasn't in a good place when he wrote that story, and how it's such a reflection about himself as a person, etc, etc.

When it was my turn to speak and I said I don't ever write about myself because I'm really freaking boring and I think there are more interesting stories out there he eventually picked up the conversation again and tried to defend himself.

"Oh well yeah, it's not exactly about me, because, like, I don't live in a hotel room..."

Sigh. Oh child.

Like I said, he's not a bad writer, and I didn't exactly dislike him for the constant praise he gave himself. It was just so odd. I'm kind of glad my face was hidden away by a computer, I couldn't stop laughing.

He did seem to like my Magic Trick story, which brought me a little "hooray!" because people in the class thought it had a good voice. That made me all happy; I'm usually srsly worried at times that the story's too boring, but it's proven to be rather surprising. I'll see where it takes me.

*~*~*~
On other news, I'm writing my first screenplay because of AP Environmental. My friend Giselle (same one who found this blog because I DON'T KNOW STOP IT) managed to draw out and write a pretty brilliant storyboard so I'm following it as I write. My formatting is all over the place, and my dialogue is intentionally corny but it may not be coming out as *intentional*, so I've got my shares of problems. Either way, it's keeping me busy. I'm at 85k on Ataraxia, wrote the traumatizing scene involving Sonya, and am planning a sci-fi story called Hurricane Girls (working title).

That last one's also meant to be a screenplay. Basic premise is: Two girls in some far off planet, system, whatevez, encounter a desolated, non-functioning spaceship. The girls don't have names yet, so for now they're Blue and Red, and they don't meet till a little while into the story. Blue, as a proficient mechanic, gets to go around getting the systems back online and fixing up the power sources. She activates the Artificial Intelligence of the ship (probably called Hamlet from an old attempted story of mine) and sees if she can get the whole thing functioning.

Meanwhile, Red is off being whimsical and stuff, and she accidentally finds out that the spaceship was originally meant to search and find The Earth That Was, but the mission went south before it even took off. Red and Blue know very little about Earth, just that it was the origin of all human kind but was eventually abandoned for more sustainable worlds. It's been hundreds of years since anyone's been back there.

(Then my antagonist might be something called The Guardian but I'm not saying much on this bit because it might get cliche as shit. So I guess we'll see!)

That idea was originally completely different. During Spring Break, I saw The Breakfast Club for the first time and was really tempted to write about two complex teenage girls bonding and interacting with one another. Then I got hit with the science fiction side while listening to Pink Floyd's Us and Them.

I like it more as sci-fi.
~Becky

P.S: YES! SQUEE! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS SONG FOR FOREVERRRR SINCE I SAW THE BOYS DON'T CRY TRAILER. AHHHHH
(by that I mean the last song on the now playing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.