Friday, January 31, 2014

AND THAT DAY IS TODAY

Literally an hour or so after I put up the post about my messy living situation with unbearable roommates, I got an email from housing announcing my move to another building.

I screamed, jumped up and down, called a friend, and started packing.

It was a rush, but today, things took a turn for the crazy. Because it's Friday, Carla could only rent a car for one hour, and I found I was locked out of both my last building and my new one (we get into the residency halls and most facilities by swiping our IDs). I couldn't check out a dolly and my roommate and suitemate were present as Carla and I dashed through the doors and unloaded my stuff into the rented car.

It was a mess. I was bombarded with questions (apparently nobody noticed me packing yesterday), I met an easily annoyed staff lady at my new building, and my poor new roommate only showed up after I had scattered my possessions everywhere. Nonetheless, she's super nice, and a writer, and a psych major, and has so many cute decorations, and our bathroom is clean, and I can use most of the fridge, and IS THIS REAL LIFE.

Apparently she'd been alone for three weeks till I was moved here. Her last roommate ended up getting a job as, I kid you not, a Disney Princess in Orlando* and had to move out just as the semester started. I guess no one picked the building I was in because I just filed my reassignment thing a few days ago and then got shoved into this place. I mean, I'm super grateful, but it's so weird. What's so bad about this hall? It's nice, it doesn't have a mandatory meal plan, and it's in the same street as most other good dorms. Is it because it's technically off-campus (right across a street) and the only thing connecting it back to it is a sketchy-ass walkway collectively known as "Rape Tunnel"? (Somehow, even my mom knew of that nickname. She was all "You're not gonna cross that thing at midnight, right? @_@ DAYLIGHT IS YOUR FRIEND.")

My roommate also warned me that it might get noisy because we're right next to a bunch of clubs. Which, as much as I complained about the level of noise my old roommates did, I don't mind the sound of urban life just outside my building. It actually makes me feel calm. I love listening to buses, taxis, music pulsing faintly against the sounds of the streets. As long as no one in my immediate vicinity blasts Bad Girls Club for eight hours straight, seven days and nights in a row, I am good.

I've been pretty much bouncing on my feet all day, texting and calling my parents, texting Silvia, texting Giselle, and speaking with Carla and my new roomie. Only bad part is that with the craziness, I ended up missing a meeting for the Kudzu Review. I sent my editor an email explaining the situation, but I'll probably text her sometime next week if she doesn't reply. I gotta make sure she won't stab me in the kidney or (worse, ohdeargodpleasedon't) kick me out for this. I know it's just one day, but we're still just starting with the magazine. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

Aside from that, it's been a pretty good day!

Now, I'm not counting down the weeks till I can graduate from Spring semester. I just needed a place to feel calm in, so now everything is clicking together perfectly.

Oh. Except for the stupid peephole. I can't reach it!!! If I stand on my tiptoes, it hits me in the middle of the forehead. WHY? THIS ROOM IS DETERMINED TO MAKE ME FEEL SMALL. (Seriously. All my clothes fit in two drawers and half of a tiny closet).

Okay, I'm just being an idiot. So happy now!

Here's to a good semester :D
~Becky

*I know. I am never gonna be that cool.
"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.