Sunday, March 2, 2014

30 Week Blog Challenge - Week 8: Cravings

Now Playing: Nine Inch Nails - Everyday Is Exactly The Same

Before anything, EDIT: Who was the anon from last time? :( Gise!? Dario!? Carp!? Uh...who else...Ren/Silvia?? I DON'T GET UPDATES DX I didn't see the comments till now. The mystery persistsssss

Man, picking Sunday for these things was a terrible idea. I have two archival projects due for my separate lit classes next week, a terrifying quiz for Japanese cinema (why is that my most difficult clas?! D:< ), I have to get ready to leave Thursday for Spring Break, and...I wanna catch up on Attack on Titan >.>

I specifically did not bring earphones with me to the dining hall so I wouldn't be tempted to watch the anime. But that doesn't mean I don't have the manga~

Ugh. I'm a terrible student. Grad school would eat me alive. But it's not my fault! Just like I lately realized I have a love for electric blue, korean dragons, and running, I also apparently really, really like giants. I've written them like three times now. Plus, the easiest way to grab me with a story is with the mythology--I can love the characters, the world, the events unfolding--but unless the mythology is epic, I won't be obsessed from the beginning. (Which weirdly hasn't happened since the Halo games. Not even Mass Effect, or Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter did this to me).

BUT ONTO THE BLOG CHALLENGE!
Original challenge!

I honestly don't even know what this question means. With the original challenge, the author just wrote down things she wanted. But uh...I mean...that's kind of short for me. It doesn't go farther than,
  1. Get Published
  2. Finish my Bachelor's
  3. Help my parents and myself get off debt/buy a house
  4. Run 3 miles in under 25 minutes.
Okay, there's like ten thousand little details, but those are the main ones. And if they happened in that order? Wooooo~

But I think craving is usually used in terms of things you consume? So...

FOOD!
  • PANDA EXPRESS. Or really, most greasy-Chinese-food places.
  • Sushi!
  • Hot-pockets (The pizza ones--I keep it classy).
  • Strawberries with pineapple
  • Ribs!

BOOKS!
  • Uh...this won't be specific, so: Epic space operas.
  • Complex female protagonists with autonomy
    • Bonus: In a cast of characters that includes other women who are not vilified. (Eww sausage fests and girl-on-girl-hate)
  • Interesting fantasy worlds that don't rely on Medieval European Backgrounds.
  • Villains that make me want to scream and hide. (So rarely happens)

MUSIC!
  • Hard, industrial, alternative, folk, or indie rock.
  • Impressive lyrics (though I have a love of purely instrumental music too)
  • Soundtracks with African influences, heavy use of choir, and/or electronic roots.

MOVIES!
  • Long takes
  • Masterful use of low-angle shots
  • Chase scenes! (idk, I love them)
  • Practical clothing (why do women in movies almost always wear high heels even if it's inconvenient as all hell?

VIDEO GAMES!
  • I'm bitter about this point: some fucking diversity. Give it a rest with the (often bearded) 25-40 year old white guys with short brown hair.
    • Though admittedly, video games seem to be doing better at this than major motion pictures.
  • If customizable characters--some voice acting, if you can manage it~
  • Open worlds or differing outcomes. (I don't hate linear storytelling, but if video games are the one medium that can easily and masterfully break free of that, then there should be more of thissss)

Ochey, Fiction in General
  • Apparently, I want more giants.
  • And complex women
  • And epic mythology
And those are the things I crave! 8D

Gottaruntalktoyoulater
~Becky
"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.