Sunday, March 23, 2014

30 Week Blog Challenge - Week 9: Pet Peeves

Now Playing: Karla Devito - We Are Not Alone

I am soooo lateeee.

(I'm half-playing that song because The Breakfast Club won't leave my head. And seeing as how it's March 23, 2014 and the detention takes place March 24, 1984, this seemed weirdly appropriate. I've been drowning in Allison and Andy fanfics rather than writing--can't believe I pulled myself away long enough to write this down).

Before I start, I have some mildly stupid news!
I cut my hair. (Unevenly, most likely, because I'm fairly certain I slanted the scissors by mistake). I attempted to take some pictures with my desk in the background to show off my set-up, but promptly forgot the backlight wasn't going to end well.

Had to up the contrast...

I attempted to make bangs from the damaged yellow hair at the front sometime after those photos. It didn't end well, but it's better than having such a dried-up part of my hair unwilling to cooperate.

Anyways, moving on to week 9 (lolmorelikeweek11) of the weekly blog thingy!
Original challenge!

Hmm. Trying to think about them right now is oddly difficult. I get annoyed at so many things, but I'm having trouble remembering them.

I can think of some basic ones, though.

Watching a movie or tv show is borderline sacred to me. It might be because my dad is such a film buff lunatic and I've inherited his attitudes. While occasional comments aren't too bad, I go insane when people talk or make comments throughout a film. This is only acceptable if we're watching something that's obviously stupid or silly, and I'm not against the occasional cheering and clapping at a theater. But when people talk really loudly or laugh at inappropriate moments, I get pissed. And I HATE IT when people check their phones while watching something. Not even because the light bothers me, but because I feel like they just don't care about the film and that just ain't respectful >.>

I hate disgusting and obviously fake pro-life propaganda that blows up images of dead fetuses and babies. Not only is it just plain emotional manipulation on something that's already a difficult decision, it's just gross and not even a little bit realistic.

Slut shaming pisses me off with a burning passion, especially when it's so hypocritical.
Random anecdote that's been bothering me: My two suitemates and roommate last semester (Fall 2013) spoke a lot about boys and their sex lives, having a sort of funny competition with each other. I thought it was kind of amusing and am not the kind of person who's bothered my explicit details of sexual escapades. When Halloween came around, one of my suitemates dressed up as Sexy Construction Worker, which basically was just a tank top, shorts, and the yellow hat. My costume (Resident Witch) was just my regular clothes, mismatched socks, and the costume hat, so I sympathize with simple (and sometimes last minute) get-ups. Once Halloween was over, my other suitemate whined about other girls for AGES, saying, "it isn't Halloween anymore. Stop dressing like such a slut." WTF?

Actually, I am incredibly bothered and disgusted by all girl on girl hate.

This is a mild one, and I don't blame anyone for it, but I hate getting asked what my book is about. THERE IS NO WAY NOT TO MAKE IT SOUND STUPID. I am TERRIBLE at summarizing (which is why I dread the day I have to write query letters). And people are so relentless about hearing about them! But once I give in, they look bored or just plain confused.

I also know they mean well, but I get super uncomfortable when people ask me why I haven't published "already". I'll know when something's ready, and a first draft of a sci-fi novel I wrote less than a few months ago and haven't edited isn't publishable material. I even had this older lady once get annoyed at me because I said I wasn't ready to send anything out. Why are you getting mad over this? hOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE?

I hate stories that ultimately come out with "science is evil" or paint scientists as incompetent idiots or assholes without morality. It's why I can't ever stop loving Mass Effect or Attack on Titan--Mordin and Hanji are EXACTLY the type of scientists people should be writing. (I'm looking at you and your failure in this, Prometheus @_@)

AND I HATE AI IS A CRAPSHOOT STORIES. If I read another "and the machines turned against us" narrative I'm going to set something on fire.

@_@ ...okay, I'm getting angry. Gotta...stop...now before I get addicted to the rage.
Next challenge will be on time, I promise >D
~Becky

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:32 PM

    I am the very model of a scientist salarian
    I've studied species turian asari and batarian~

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon!Silvia (most likely):
    Oh Mordin. I miss you so much Dx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Darn! Spotted.

    I watched some playthroughs where you betrayed Mordin. And then he fled, never to be seen again. Twas awesome @-@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Yeah, I have some similar pet peeves, and man, I relate to you hard on non-writery people having strange expectations about what you should be doing with your work when you're not ready!

    If we ever hang out I'll make sure not to check my phone during any movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Julie: YAY! I promise watching movies with me isn't torture; I was just releasing years of built up rage on this post >.>

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.