Tuesday, June 17, 2014

New Novel Completed!

Now Playing: Hiroyuki Sawano - E.M.A and Rittai Kidou (Shingeki No Kyojin OST)

Title: Millennium Girl
Genre: Urban fantasy
Protagonist: Lilith Fay* Fontaine
Started: January 9, 2014
Finished: June 17, 2014
Word count: 110k words (15 chapters, 405 Word pages)

DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE with the first draft

*throws confetti*

Quick background: This idea started out during Winter Break, mostly since I finished Beyond Two Souls. I think I mentioned this before, but there's a scene near the end of the game that stuck with me. Just as Jodi's struggling through this chaotic area (trying to be vague so not to spoil) she starts changing through different stages of her life, from a young woman to a small child. This gave me the idea for an immortal character who could revert to different ages (and I ended up thinking about the Doctor's regeneration when considering limitations).

Then a few weeks later I found this picture: Rain by Omen2501 on DeviantArt**

And even though Lilith doesn't entirely look like the girl in the artwork anymore, I couldn't stop thinking about her. It was very strange and kind of sudden. But I'm glad she found me.

Couple of things:
  • I've discovered I could hypothetically be an above average drafter. When I concentrated continuously, I managed to write 10k words a week, and wrote more in two months than I did in the entire semester. 
    • So the question is, WHERE THE HELL was this speed ability during the last two NaNo's? D:<
  • I am horrible at endings >_> I'm probably rewriting that part like a thousand times.
  • I also have to rewrite the beginning, but at least that's a bit easier and I know exactly how to fix it.
    • Done! It added about 2k words, which I just factored into the word count here. I can do the fancy printing and shinny red pen attack now. (Well, after a few weeks.)
  • If there's a will, there's a way >_> I managed to work in multiple fight scenes, free falling, explosions, and one motorcycle chase. 
    • Had to resist senseless product placement here >_> But if it gets published, the scene is still there, the line hasn't been discontinued, and anyone is wondering, Lilith uses a yellow Suzuki GSX-R600. 
    • (In my defense, this song--DOA by Aimee Blackschleger--made me do it. I couldn't listen to it and not write in a motorcycle scene).
  • I am incapable of properly figuring out chapter lengths. Gha!
  • I'm also kind of terrible at fleshing out my side characters. They feel whole and complete to me, but duh, I'm the writer. I don't think readers will see what I see.
  • I'm questioning the last chapter. It starts off a bit abstract, which could be understandable due to the circumstances, but might not really have a big impact.
    • Also this part got build up...a lot. And I'm 99% certain it would disappoint people.
  • OH. And I seriously have to stop using fire and electricity as pain metaphors @_@ There are a million ways to hurt in this world, after all.
This was surprisingly fun, despite the pain. Last night was particularly stressing. After spending an all-nighter getting to the climax, I hit a block. I never know how to end these damn books! At around 10 am yesterday, I decided to take a nap. Some six hours later I woke up and went to work despite being still a bit disoriented. I didn't get far >_>

I joked around with my brother trying to come up with an answer, and though he's never read the book, he kept shouting "DON'T KILL HER. THINK OF THE SEQUELS. AND THE PREQUELS." It was amusing :P, but I still had to stay up till three a.m trying to think of an ending.

I came up with one, but it's probably not going to stick. We'll see. Hmmmm.

So despite sometimes having to write with an ice pack on my face (stupid wisdom teeth) and messing up my sleep schedule, I AM SO HAPPYYYY. Rewriting is going to be a bitch, but this one has more of a shot than Ataraxia ever did.

Twas rewarding :D And to celebrate, I ordered pizza and shared it with my brother.

Celebration pizza!
Now I'm going to go knock out for like ten thousand hours...
~Becky

*Her last name is subject to change, since I'm not too sure about it. I gotta look up some nice old French last names for her.

**I guess this was kind of perfect in terms of inspiration, since the artist does a lot of covers for books, Rain included.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Papa Johns woot woot

    I could... tell you... if your side characters are... fleshed out or not... ya know, if you let me read... your story... huh? Huh? HUH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon!Silvia: After ten thousand revisions, sure >_>

      (Your ability to recognize pizza boxes is quite impressive @_@)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:44 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:47 AM

    ... Uh... double post. Oops?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:04 PM

    I... what @_@ By putting my name in the latter half of Anon!Silvia you are inadvertently invalidating my anonymity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like I don't know it's you @_@ besides, y u hiding?

      Delete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.