Monday, September 22, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey - Week 5: Age

Now Playing: Soda Stereo - Disco Eterno and Pasos

Doing research for this new story is weirdly interesting in a weirdly intimidating way. I am never not going to be afraid of sci-fi it seems >_> But here's hoping this turns out awesome.

But enough of that, time for the 30 week survey! :D

QUESTION 5: By age, who is your youngest character? Oldest? How about “youngest” and “oldest” in terms of when you created them? 

Youngest: This took longer to figure out than the oldest. I've written some children, but none of them were particularly young. Most were approaching their preteen years (Dream, started at 12, Jacob, 12/13 in the first draft, Caesar, 13). I'm sure I've had some really young kids mentioned in passing, and physically, the youngest I've written Lilith is at six years old.

At first I thought it'd be Arkana. If I'm not mistaken, she was 10 years old in the original draft of The Night Kingdom. But on that logic, it'd be Jacob's youngest sister, who was a baby in the first draft before she got aged up to like a thirteen year old for the rewrites. I'm also having trouble remembering how old Madeleine was in Redemption. She was my cute redheaded French girl traveling with Nikki and Vlad. Hitomi meets her at a refugee camp when she was either 11 or 9. I'm inclined to say 11, and 9 was just the age a really traumatic thing happened to her, causing her to go mute.

But then I remembered. THE KIDS IN THE SHORT STORIES. I totally forgot I wrote child protagonists for my first ever creative writing class. The one to spring to mind was Tanika, who is six years old in Jasmine Tracks or Lydia, the narrator's little sister (about...five-ish?) in The Magic Trick.

I should add in smaller children to my writing. They make everything much more fun >.>

I'm not sure if this counts, but a lot of the short stories involving Isadora might apply. Since those involve the exploration of her early, developmental years, she's a little less than a year old when Dr. Monroe makes the decision to transfer her A.I into a gynoid body. Ultimately, the body Isadora is most seen in has the appearance of a slender, young girl with pig tails, so it kind of fits. As for the actual novel that might be my NaNo, then Isadora is a lot older.

Kind of irrelevant sidenote: I'm not too sure about the other A.I's. Ironically, Cyrano is the one with the avatar of a young boy, but he's probably among the oldest. Granted, it's unlikely he's any older than twenty years or so. I have to dive into his back story to find out, I just know he was programmed by Antigone/Ramzia and years later he meets Valentine and Kaede. Still...he might not be the oldest. That title probably goes to another...

But again, I gotta go into their respective back stories. Hopefully soon >_> Since I think they might end up in this year's NaNo if I go sci-fi instead of fantasy.

Oldest: My automatic answer for this was going to be Lilith and Ansel, since they're technically somewhere between 800 to 1,000 years older, possibly older. Then I remembered the Watchmaker, and how he's suppose to be, as the cliche goes, as "old as time itself."

Do Gods count? Because if so, then the Brothers and [SPOILER >_>] in Anne's story take top spot.

I'm actually not one for immortals (or deities) often, but apparently when I write them, it's go big or go home. None of this 130 year old vampire stuff >.> Always above 700!
~Becky

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM

    Hello from class @_@ What's wrong with middle-aged immortals, huh? 200 years is a respectable age. Huh? HUH? @_@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Class? o-e Yo, you better not be in physics advocating for better immortal representation.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:02 AM

    I was in Algorithms/ programming o-o I kinda know what's going on there so it's okay >_>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:06 AM

      Oops, replied to the wrong comment thread >_> And I'm posting this in engineering probability... e-e probably not the best idea

      Delete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.