Monday, September 29, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey - Week 6: Where/When/How

Now Playing: Nine Inch Nails - Hyperpower! and The Beginning of the End

Y'know, I keep thinking, NANO NEEDS TO START NAO, but I think that's just the jittery excitement. I always get really nervous before starting a novel. If that first ten pages or so don't come together, I'm incapable of pushing on. And I really don't want that to happen to this little story.

I'm inclined to think I have a good chance, though. After all...ROBOTS. I can't go on living without writing at least one robot novel D: But who knows what'll happen. I have a habit of overestimating my writing skill as much as I have a habit of underestimating it.

(Also I finished Korra this weekend. CAN'T. WAIT. FOR FRIDAY). But anyways...on to the challenge!


QUESTION 6: Where are you most comfortable writing? At what time of day? Computer or good ol' pen and paper?

EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE!

The one exception to this is the first twenty minutes or so it takes me to shake off drowsiness after waking up. And usually until after I've plunged into my emails/twitter/reddit/pinterest and maybe even eaten something. Aside from that, I can write early in the morning, middle of the day, late at night--I've even gotten out of bed at three a.m to scribble down something, though I value my sleep soooo so much. Oh, and I've done that thing where you jot down ideas down on napkins and receipts because you don't have any paper nearby. It's weird, but I feel anxious if I don't write down my ideas. Even if I never reread, just the process of getting it somewhere concrete makes me happy and excited about my next story.

I love writing in my computer, and get kind of addicted to typing on a keyboard. I love the sound it makes >> and how the keys feel at times. It's not uncommon for me to geek out at an awesome keyboard. Getting my first laptop at age 11ish probably influenced me a lot. My first computer, Isadora001, helped me create the first drafts of The Night Kingdom and Redemption, as well as my first, personally successful fanfictions, Miss Murder and Broken. I've gone through a couple of writing softwares, and the interfaces never makes that much of a difference to me as long as I've always got a blank page to start in. (Though we'll see if one day I make the transition to Scrivener).

Getting my laptop taken away at 12ish also probably influenced my love affair with notebooks >.>. I'd gotten a C (or a couple of 'em) in a report card, and my parents had decided punishment meant locking away my laptop and not getting it back till those grades improved. I didn't write for the first few weeks, then remembered something my father had told me about when I was a child, when I had began telling stories and keeping a diary. He said he'd held off writing when he was younger, promising himself he'd start when he got a typewriter. But that wasn't right. If you want to write, you get a pencil and a paper and you write. You don't need anything fancy for it, and you shouldn't let excuses hold you back.

So even though he was the reason I didn't have a laptop, he was also part of the reason I didn't stop writing. I wrote The Band entirely on a notebook during the start of eighth grade, and started some other novel in a similar way. I also started to write excerpts, character stats, character interviews, and worldbuilding notes in journals, starting with Redemption and my attempted rewrites of the Night Kingdom. It's been that way ever since. (And they are what, quite shamelessly, allowed me to not pay attention in class and just write a lot >.>. Cough. Pay attention in school, kids.)

If we go to ancient history, I naturally started my first stories in notebooks when I was six, and kept a diary since I was eight.

I also have a serious problem with leather journals. They're like...my vanity purchases. I can't walk into a Barnes and Noble without staring longingly at them and reeling in pain at the prices. They're the reason I can't make fun of people who plop down hundreds of dollars for Prada bags. Why? Because even though a plain old notebook, or even a piece of paper, works for me, I LOVE THESE FANCY THINGS. Moleskins, Italian bound, ahhhh make me so happy. It's also like everyone's fallback presents to me. Last Christmas, my friends Carla and Ren, and my parents, all got me leather notebooks. I was one happy camper.

I usually spend an embarrassingly long amount of time picking them out. It's not even about the size or page numbers, because I go through them rather quickly no matter how much room I have.Oh no. It's about how pretty they are >> Like I generally don't like notebooks with pictures for covers, especially of animals. (Sorry puppies and kittens. I love you, but not on my notebooks). I like cute, simplistic designs, sometimes of flowers, sometimes a little cartoon-y. I like brown leather for the bounded ones, but also appreciate some red and light creme covers.

And I spend a lot of time battling with myself to not make unnecessary purchases when I still have empty ones piling up at home >>

Maybe one day, when I'm not too poor and have a place of my own, I'll have a little corner of my home library dedicated to all my notebooks
~Becky

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:02 PM

    I actually tend to choose sketchbooks and notebooks based on how indestructible the look... @_@ Softcovers means that the first fifty pages will be lost to the rigors of my bookbag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I've never had a notebook fall apart.

      Oh well. Kind of. I left a leather notebook in the back of the car, once, so the sun shone down for a full day. It got all bendy >_>

      Delete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.