Sunday, October 12, 2014

Boring school updates Dx

Now Playing: Hiroyuki Sawano - 2chi城 (Everyday Life)

I had an awesome realization, and I'm so proud of myself: I've worked in sci-fi in all my classes this semester. For fiction it was easy; I just turned in a sci-fi story. But for nonfiction? In my first short essay piece, I discussed my trip to Ecuador with references to alternative realities/multiverses (I also left ambiguous the reason why my family left the country in the first place, and my whole class ended up getting weird vibes. My professor jokingly asked me if we fled because I killed someone). In zombie film, when writing my obituary, I said I died at 38 protesting for the rights of A.I's/robots. And I am so writing my final essay for Women in Lit on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (and possibly connecting it to Octavia Butler's Bloodchild.)

Awww yiss. My first fall semester was all about the feminism. This is all about the sci-fi >:D

But sadly, sci-fi might also be the death of me. Maybe. Either that, or I should stop blaming possible bias against genre fiction for my possible rejections from advanced level workshop classes.

I'm applying right now. There are a few--only two fiction writing ones--that don't have any application processes, just some simple requirements. But the only one that's at a good time is with the professor I'm taking now, and while I really like her and her class, I doubt either of us will be thrilled to have me there a second time. I don't want to take the spot of someone who's never had her as a professor, not to mention it'd be helpful for me to have different instructors. I would have loved to have been here in uni longer just to have different professors, but I can't justify taking another 5k in loans a semester just to take one or two classes I don't even need in terms of credits.

But the only other non-application class ends at 9 PM. You cannot pay me to bike or walk or pretty much move through this campus once nightfall happens. Yeah, I suppose I could take the Safe Bus back to my place and avoid the creepy areas, but I don't think I could get away with making it my weekly transportation thing.

So I'm down to applying. Which means I'll possibly get rejected. The Monday class I really want is uncharted waters--I have no idea if the professor likes genre fiction, or will like the story I'm thinking of sending her. Everyone at my workshop class--including my teacher--had great things to say about it, but it's not very long. And it's sci-fi. And it's...just...

>_< UGHHHH.

I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS

Also I applied for a few jobs.

Will I get them? Will I actually last with them? Will my coworkers/boss like me? Will I embrace the struggles of a working, taxed, adult, or will I run away screaming?

>_> Who knows....I probably won't even get hired because embarrassingly empty resume is embarrassingly empty.

SIGH
~Becky

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Your embarrassingly empty resume is not as empty as mine yo @_@ It came into existence two days ago. Good luck though~

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.