Monday, November 3, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey - Week 11: Least and Most Favorite Character

Now Playing: Smashing Pumpkins - The End Is The Beginning Is The End

NANOWRIMO IS HEREEEEEEEEE. GUESS WHO DOVE RIGHT INTO WRITING ON THAT FIRST DAY? >:D

I better win this year Dx. Three year losing streak? NO THANK YOU. So pumped D:<

But despite the stress of NaNo and school being a meany, I shall continue the weekly blog survey!


QUESTION 11: Who is your favorite character to write? Least favorite?

I thought I'd include a villain here, but realized I was reading the question wrong. I dislike some of my antagonists, even though I try to see where they're coming from so I can write them as complex individuals rather than 2D baddies. But they're not difficult to write. So with that said, I thought about the question a bit more. I put a beloved heroine of mine on the chopping block since technically, I loved and hated writing her.

First, my favorite:

Dream. She might always get top spot. She's such an odd little girl--well, teenager now--sometimes so incapable of understanding social cues or assessing danger, and she's so fearless in such an innocent way. I've watched her grow and face her mistakes and flawed views. She can be nonsensical and absolutely silly. She wouldn't be a good character to read about with a mainstream audience. Her actions or words would get a response of "why's she doing that?" "what does that even mean?" This happened sometimes in the RPs--she ended up getting the nickname Riddle Girl because of it.

But her riddles were always consistent, and her way of speaking has evolved. And I've never found myself questioning why she said things or acted in a certain way. Nothing was ever OOC, even in her most chaotic states. Granted, I'm saying this from a purely biased standpoint. As her creator, I'm inclined to understand her quite easily. Writing her was almost always an organic process. I never had to over think anything, and she always found a way to surprise me, intrigue me, or delight me. She's most of the reason the novella, Enkindled With Chains, is some of my best written work.

Plus she angers people in the most amusing ways. On occasion, someone or other will burst out of a room in frustration just to get away from her >.> (looking at you, Clive. Though you sure haven't been the only one).

Least favorite: I loved Hitomi, but she did piss me off on occasion. And her stubborn ways would constantly halt the plot or throw Marcus in a tangent. She had the stupidest arguments at times. I did love how opinionated and blunt she could be, but jeez was her lack of empathy disturbing. It was always practical, granted, as she was mostly a survivor. And she had a strong personal moral code she never broke, plus she was also suffering from massive guilt that caused her to shut down emotionally, so I could at least understand where she was coming from, even if I couldn't agree with her.

But damn could her temper get in the way of things. I think one of the reasons Redemption ended up being so long is because Hitomi's arguments would just go on and on for an eternity. I sort of always knew her path would lead her down better choices and actions, but it was difficult getting there.

Oh well. It was challenging, and a lot of her faults come from my own inexperience at balancing a character's flaws with her more positive traits (and not overwriting >.>). And in the end, I loved Hitomi because she was frustrating, and that frustration sure made things interesting (and sometimes fun).
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.