Monday, November 10, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey - Week 12: Worldbuilding

Now Playing: Epic Mountain Music - Are You Alone?

Starting second week of NaNo...not too bad so far >.> But we'll see how much the world wants to throw at me.

In fact, this is danger week. In the past, I've given up on NaNoWriMo at like, the 12th or 13th day. I can't let that happen this time >_<

But hey, on Saturday, THIS HAPPENED:


Aww to the Yeah >:D Probably almost gave myself carpal tunnel for writing like a maniac for three days straight, but @FridayNightWrites aka #WriteClub was having a NaNoWriMo writing marathon and I just had to join in and reach my goal. (I even won a free ebook for participating!)

So with barely just the first week, I got to 25k >.> Will it take another week to get to 50k, or maybe a bit longer?

Will I even win at all?

We'll see, we'll see. But till then...


QUESTION 12: In what story did you feel you did the best job of worldbuilding? Any side-notes on it you'd like to share?

I have no idea which story has the best world building. Hopefully my most recent one.

Earlier fantasy stuff had some thought put into it. The Night Kingdom's gotten a lot more complicated as the years have passed, even if the basic Witches vs. Human conflict remains the same. Similarly, I planned out sooo much in Anne's story; I filled out almost an entire notebook on the mythologies, the different ways each nation and people approached the gods, the pirates, the dragon and phoenix, how things tied into the beliefs, music, cuisine, fashion, etc. These two worlds were different in that, there's always some speculation that the deities in The Night Kingdom aren't real, so it makes testing the faith of some of my protagonist a lot more interesting. In contrast, in Anne's world, there's no doubt of the deities' existence. What changes, as I said, are the ways the different cultures interpret them. Anne's is the only culture that believes the Brothers are against each other and that the sea and the earth must be separated--which makes her longing to explore the ocean a bit difficult. In contrast, Hali's people believe in the partnership of the Brothers, and the unification of the ocean and the land, so he had no problems venturing into the water world of Vatnetinn.

Shamelessly, in the past, my sci-fi has had a lot less planning done. The original Redemption has a super boring, long prologue trying to explain how the world went all post-apocalyptic on us (and, as it was written by a thirteen year old, has a ton of simplified speculations about the outcome of certain geopolitical conflicts). In Ataraxia, there wasn't much explanation as to what led to the establishment of Irkalla. I mostly did it because I was enamored by the usual Prison Planet trope of sci-fi, and I didn't really care about the before, just the during with hints of the after.

Maybe this has all changed with Vanguard's Exodus >.> Planning has been difficult, but it's what I had to force myself to do. I don't want my characters to be so disconnected from their environments, as that's been a huge problem of mine in the past.

Hopefully it's the best world building I've had so far. We'll see if it stands >_> I even did the silly thing of drawing out the Valkyrie so I'd know what rooms are where, and how everyone's moving around. (The gravity manipulator messes with my head >->)

Now of course, the science in VE won't be great, because I'm not super knowledge, I don't have a consultant from NASA to help me out, and I'm not Larry Niven >_> So...I'm probably gonna get a lot wrong. But I hope the writing holds up, and that the world is at least believable enough without having to be perfectly realistic.

I don't really have any tips o-e Fill out sticky notes and hope for the best? Google is your friend? Yeh.
~Becky

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Ah yes... @_@ The Redemption prologue....

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.