Saturday, November 22, 2014

GUESS. WHAT.

Now Playing: Nine Inch Nails - I Would For You.

I

DID

EEEEETTTTT


Ahem.

*Hijacks mic*

I'd like to thank FridayNightWrites, my competitive spirit and jealousy of other people's progress, Dunkin Donuts, the coffee/cream cheese/bagel combo home breakfast I've been living off of for a few weeks now, my past-self for writing as many essays as possible a month in advance, everyone on twitter who had to listen to me gush and squee and brag; I couldn't have done it without you!

Finally, after three (nonconsecutive) years of total failure, I've won NaNoWriMo! And I didn't even scramble to finish like I thought was I going to. I've won more than week in advance! I did it like at 11:50 PM of November 21st, because I reallyyyy wanted to get it done as soon as possible. (Yes, even if that just meant the difference between the 21st and the 22nd. Don't judge meeee.).

And

I

DID IT!!!!

I stopped mid sentence. The last 900 words are probably even more nonsensical than the previous 49100 that preceded them because I was eyeing the word count with unblinking eyes as I typed. And of course because the actual typing of the words go faster than Microsoft Word can count them, I had to come to a pause every now and then to see it update. It was difficult up until the 49900--then it was all crashing down on me in the last fifteen minutes.

And then I saw the 50,000 number! I completely lost whatever description I was about to add and just jumped into updating and validating the word count on the website. Then I bragged on twitter. Then I watched the congratulations video and marveled at my certificate.

Yeah, I know, I know, I'm being self indulgent.

BUT SO WHAT? DX

I AM SO HAPPY.

HAVE A VIRTUAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE SO YOU CAN SHARE MY JOYYYY.

Nowwww granted, Vanguard's Exodus is no where near the end. In fact, I wouldn't even call this the middle o-e I'm hoping it will be. Like if this clocks out at exactly 100k words, I am going to be super mega happy.

But I have problems with overwriting in sections (and yet, for some reason, totally underwriting the endings on first drafts) so we'll see how much this gets dragged out.

I just gotta say, I'm loving it so far. And I can't wait to see where it takes me.

But...uh...I think I've written enough for tonight. I'm gonna go have some left-over cookies and then sleeeeep for the next thirty hours.

It's been a rough few weeks, but that WINNER bar of purple on the NaNoWriMo website made it totally worth it.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.