Monday, December 1, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey - Week 15: Writer I Admire

Now Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition OST - Nightingale's Eyes

Happy December! Might be a quick post since there's some things I have to get done--I have some last minute errands to run before leaving for Miami this weekend.

I don't have too many updates since I barely went out this Thanksgiving break. I did accomplish one thing, at least. After a lot of painful rewrites, I managed to finish the Ignited short story for my creative writing workshop. The story was kind of a pain (I'm not good with short stuff) but it made me realize that I kind of miss writing witches >.>

But I'll do that laterrrr. After all this is over, I'm going back to Vanguard's Exodus and hopefully I'll finish the first draft within the next few weeks, maybe months.

Oh. I also have to, like, panic at the fact that in thirteen days, I'm turning nineteen. I've been...kind of looking forward to that birthday for a few years now, even if it does cause me some stress. (But I'll get more into that on December 13th).

Anyways, here's my response to the survey today :D


QUESTION 15: Midway question! Tell us about a writer you admire, whether professional or not! 

So I was going to say JK Rowling at first, because I admire her for her charity work and for being brave enough to write and seek publication at the darkest period of her life. I feel like I'd do the opposite of that. Whenever I'm stressed out or really nervous about something, I neglect my writing rather than lose myself in it. I don't know how I would manage to write and publish while battling depression.

But though she was my childhood idol, I think I'm going to go with a classic writer. I love, love, love Mary Shelley. She (along with an essay I read once written by Stephen King) is the reason I am so focused on being nineteen. She was that exact age when she wrote Frankenstein, pioneering the modern science fiction genre we know now and changing literature forever.

It almost makes me sad that her legacy has been obscured by pop culture. When people hear the word "Frankenstein", they think of some protozombie creature, unintelligent, childlike, slow, a mumbling, groaning mess, a mistake of science, etc. And there's just so much fundamentally wrong with that.

But this isn't a review of the book. It's of Shelley. I'm so jealous of her talent, and so in awe of it too. I wish I could be as great as she was at nineteen, but even if I'm not, I'm so thankful I got to read her novel before I turned that age.

And it's specially important that I mention her now, right as NaNoWriMo has come to an end. On a grand scale and a personal one, I wouldn't be writing Vanguard's Exodus if it wasn't for Frankenstein. I'm so proud of this story, no matter how flawed it is, and how much I have left to work on. And I wouldn't be here without Mary.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.