Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday Blog Challenge: Someone Outside This Country

Week 6: Someone Who Does Not Live In Your Country

Well that's a broad prompt. Especially since I don't know what it's asking exactly? Someone I know personally? Someone I know of? Just...some...random person outside my country?

Y'know, I'll just talk about JK Rowling since her birthday's in a month and since I didn't talk about her last blog challenge. (Plus, today is the anniversary for the publication of Philosopher's Stone.)

I watched this interview a couple of week ago and I remembered just how cool she is:


I've always looked up to her since I was six or so. She was the reason I wanted to be a writer for ages, but it's weird to say that and admit I haven't read any of her adult books nor do I want her to write more Harry Potter books.

The thing is, her adult fiction is in topics I don't have a great deal of interest. She's already said she'll probably never write fantasy again, and that makes me kind of sad since I love her imagination and worldbuilding, even if I do love her characters more. But I'm also not one of those people that keeps holding onto hope that she'll write for Harry Potter again. In fact, I'm incredibly happy that she forced herself to finish it and move on. Sure, she wrote the companion books and there's going to be another movie in the universe, but she's been pretty set on not writing an eighth Harry Potter book, and I admire that as much as I admire the fact that she started and wrote and finished the novel when things were really difficult in her life. (Plus, seven years of planning, ten years of writing? Ho-ly sheeeeet. I can barely stand my characters after a year of talking to them).

I can't claim to be in a situation anywhere close to where she was when finishing up Harry Potter. But I can say that since my life is at a state of unknown and "where do I go now", etc, it makes writing difficult. It makes me question why I'm doing it and if it'll ever get anywhere.

It's not easy to shake off that doubt. I haven't managed to do it yet. But I keep writing for some reason, even if it is really difficult and time-consuming. I guess because a part of me admires that kind of perseverance, and there's no greater example of it than with Rowling.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.