Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday Excerpt: How I Survive It

Now Playing: James Newton Howard - Katniss is Chosen (Catching Fire OST)

[Introduction].

Unpopular opinion time: if you know me or if you've glanced at my Goodreads page, you might know I don't think much of The Hunger Games series. I don't find it as feminist as people claim it to be and I don't always like the plot structure or treatment of certain characters/ideas. I don't think it does enough with the social commentary and I think it has, at best, a mediocre understanding of what starvation does to people and the general effects of extreme poverty.

I  think the movies do a somewhat better job at restructuring certain scenes and moments, and Katniss is a much better character as played by Jennifer Lawrence than what we get in the actual text of the books. (Though I'm not a big fan of the general casting decision for different reasons).

That said, I've never had a problem understanding why the series achieved such a level of success. Suzanne Collins is a great writer, and while I don't enjoy the entire series, I do like a lot of its moments.

I didn't have to think too hard about my favorite. It's right at the very end, the closing paragraphs, and while I'm usually not a fan of epilogues, I think this is the best writing in the entire series.

Spoilers for the finale, of course.

(Katniss the Mockingjay by curry23 on DeviantArt)

My children, who don't know they play on a graveyard. 
Peeta says it will be okay. We have each other. And the book. We can make them understand in a way that will make them braver. But one day I'll have to explain about my nightmares. Why they came. Why they won't ever really go away. 
I'll tell them how I survive it. I'll tell them that on bad mornings, it feels impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more than twenty years. 
But there are worse games to play.
- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    People call the series feminist...? O-e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah... >_> Which I attribute to the fact that it's a female led action franchise that's successful, rather than because of the content. (Which to me means it's *not* feminist)

      Delete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.