Friday, July 17, 2015

Friday Blog Challenge: Favorite Thing To Do

Now Playing: The Dresden Dolls - Missed Me

No big updates to give. I just gotta say--if you haven't seen the Suicide Squad trailer, you gotta do it now. Or, as I like to call it, The Reason The Internet Is Collectively Squeeing over Harley Quinn.

I need to be Harley Quinn this Halloween. My hair might be too short for pigtails but...I could try? I could do the make-up easily. Messy, badly blended, blotches of color over my face is totally my thing. (Plus it'll be in honor of the new Halloween scene I'm writing for MG).

Second awesome thing of the week that everyone's been squeeing over: Pluto!
My love of Pluto (and Charon) grew last year when I was researching binary planet systems for my WIP. It's only fair I post up a picture of it being all cute.

On to the challenge.

Week 9: Your Favorite Thing To Do Right Now.

It might be kind of a cop-out to talk about something blog-related on a blog post, but I am really, really enjoying the Monday Excerpt thing. Now, whenever I read my books (and I've been doing it a lot more since I'm in desperate need to catch up on my challenge), I keep an eye out for passages I may want to feature on the blog or not.

I have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to writing. I do worry about the plot and the characters, but at the moment, nothing is more important than the prose. Character development you can learn. Plot can get polished after at least ten drafts. But prose is a different beast entirely. Learning how to be clear and original in your use of language, to make people connect and imagine through the written word alone is really difficult. I've never been as good at it as I wished I was.

You learn to write by reading. A lot. And the Monday Excerpt thing is really proving to be helpful. I'm going to look at more action oriented stuff for far future installments, mostly because that's always where I fail the most. Oh! And I should feature more dialogue. That might be a bit trickier, but I'm sure I'll come across a book eventually with pitch perfect conversations.

Won't hurt to look, at least.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.