Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday Blog Challenge: Someone You'd Want to Meet

Now Playing: Florence + The Machine - Breath of Life

Week 13: Someone You've Always Wanted To Meet.

Nuuuh. I should have saved the JK Rowling answer for this one. This is what I get for not looking ahead.

I don't think I could truthfully answer this question the way most people answer it. I wouldn't want to meet any of the people I admire in the books/film/video game industry because I wouldn't know how to not enter fangirl mode. I'd probably be super obnoxious. I doubt I'd be able to keep a conversation going, which would be a shame, since most of the people I would theoretically want to "meet" are really interesting people.

But I guess if by "meet", you mean, "awkwardly ask for a picture and/or autograph and then make sure to thank them and leave them alone", I'd like to meet:
  • J.K. Rowling
  • Quentin Tarantino
  • Marie Lu
  • Marissa Meyer
  • Trent Reznor
  • Joss Whedon
  • Sebastian Cordero
  • George R.R. Martin
  • Hayao Miyazaki
  • Elle Fanning
  • Gael Garc√≠a Bernal
  • Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori
  • Yoko Kanno
I think the one exception to this list is maybe David Gaider and Rhianna Pratchett, in the sense that I'd actually want to talk to them rather than scamper off after a fangirl moment. David is one of the main writers for the Dragon Age franchise and he's written a couple of the companion books, like the one that centers on Cole (squee), called Dragon Age Asunder. (Unapologetic Cole fangirl here). Rhianna wrote the first Mirror's Edge and the Tomb Raider reboot.

Because of the general state of the gaming industry, Bioware is such a miracle that I'd probably sell my nonexistent soul half a dozen times so I could work for them in some shape or form. And even if I wasn't so into the writing in the first Mirror's Edge, I do like that Rhianna has written for female-led video games (with women who aren't overly sexualized!) I loveee that they're both interested in diversity within the industry. People like them make the chance of more character-oriented stories in video games a legitimate possibility. And isn't that just awesome?

Hmm. Actually, I think I'd like to regular-meet Marie Lu for that too. For both those reasons--she's interested in diversity and she worked in the video game industry. Oh, and Marissa Meyer is clearly interested in diversity too, and I loveee her Lunar Chronicles. (Robots! Science fantasy! Creativity!) I guess I wouldn't let her go either without a few words of conversation.

So regular meet and actually talk:
  • Marie Lu
  • Marissa Meyer
  • David Gaider
  • Rhianna Pratchett
Oh! And, I don't know if I'd really be such a great conversationalist with her, but I'd definitely try and talk to Malala Yousafzai if I ever met her. Or, at the very least, I'd shake her hand and tell her she's awesome.

I'd probably still end up saying something stupid. That's my talent.

Non-famous but equally impossible: My great-grandfather Victor (my paternal grandmother's father).

I mean, he's dead and stuff, but if he comes back as a somewhat intelligent zombie, I guess it'd be awesome to talk to him.

Although zombie!Spanish might be harder for me to manage than regular!Spanish....
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.