Friday, August 28, 2015

Friday Blog Challenge: Something Awesome

Now Playing: Uh Huh Her - Not A Love Song

Don't have a great deal of updates on the situation I talked about on Tuesday. Not one that won't send me into rage.

So instead of that, I'll share a somewhat amusing anecdote involving my mom, especially since I didn't get to mention it on the Dune post. Because that's a better way to open the post :)

A few months ago, when I was still trying to plan out what excerpts to take from where for the Monday Excerpts thing, I asked my mom what her favorite scene from Dune was to compare with my top choices. She gushed for a few minutes, and there did end up being some overlaps. (One of the ones I remember is [SPOILER ALERT] when Alia, as a freaking toddler, kills the Baron. I'm still not 100% convinced that even happened.)

Anyways, I told her about the scene I really liked--especially the whole, "getting scolded by Stilgar" part. We were eating dinner when we were talking about it, so my brother asked to elaborate a little and I gave a somewhat vague explanation.

And then my mom spent like five minutes explaining how the sandrider thing even works and what it was, in that specific moment, that Paul messed up with to get Stilgar momentarily mad at him.

I had to point out that, in my giant edition of the book, this scene is maybe, oh, I don't know, a page and a half? And yet she remembered exactly what moment I was talking about and what the lines of dialogue were. The only real reason I remembered it in somewhat good detail is because I'd been rereading sections for the Excerpts thing. She hasn't reread the book in years.

That totally proved it--she'll never stop being obsessed with Dune. She's probably got entire passages memorized.

Even though I have favorite books, I don't think I've come across one I love that much. It'll be kind of cool when I find one.

Anyways--on to the challenge.

Week 15: Something that Excites You and Fills You With Joy.

What an interesting question to have this week. I'll just make a list:

Family and friends.

Video games?

This month/week's library haul*
The library and requesting an infinity number of books. (Not really, but I haven't hit my limit yet.)

Discovering new music that I listen to over and over again until I'm sick of it. (Specifically, discovering new music through movies, shows, and video games.

Parking at a cafe for hours.

The library again. Libraries are awesome.

Driving at night had been nice.

Sense8? The Carmilla webshow? John Oliver's This Week Tonight?

The Lunar Chronicles and The Broken Empire and The Reckoners series. Being reminded of Breathtaker and Serena because of them.

The Hugos not sucking this year despite ample opportunity.

Finally reading some Octavia Butler.

Fall and winter. The seasons of cute winter hats and knee-high socks. Summer needs to end already.

Thinking about Halloween. And the general holiday season.

NaNoWriMo. That makes me happy despite the pain.

Okay. That's all I can think of right now.
~Becky

*sorry for the weird angle and lightning. That window/table stand isn't kind to crappy phone pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.