Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Submerged

Now Playing: London Grammar - Devil Inside (cover)

Silly post because I need it. Also, I've been revising, so I made a cute Pinterest for Millennium Girl which led to this.

If you ever followed YA book news from the last few years, you'd know of a novel called The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Just like the book I talked about on Monday, Mara Dyer was massively popular and it seemed to divided readers. People like it, people hate it. Personally, I have no idea how good or bad it might be since I've yet to read the books.

However, there was one thing that kept drawing people in--even people who ended up disliking the series. It was the covers.

It was through Pinterest that I finally discovered the name of the cover artist for the Mara Dyer books. It seems the series of photographs are called Abyss of the Disheartened and the photographer is Heather Landis. (Link goes to her website).


There's more in the series but these are my favorite. They're beautiful, aren't they?

I have always liked underwater photography. I admire it a lot. I think the first kind I ever really saw used to be featured extensively on the DeviantArt front page--it being the work of Elena Kalis.


Even my favorite photographer, Zhang Jingna, (of DeviantArt zemotion fame) has done some awesome underwater work. Both of these are from her Motherland Chronicles series.

Anyway--I'm bringing this up for a silly reason.

I know I, as a lowly author who does not want to self-publish, have no say on the cover design of my books. But while revising, I kept glancing at underwater photography. I think it would be cool to have an underwater photograph on the cover--it even technically makes sense. And I think even some of the Mara Dyer/Abyss of the Disheartened ones would've been perfect.

Although if used for my story, it might have given them a more threatening undertone than a passionate one, given which of my characters the models would be representing.

Alright, that's all. Just wanted to show some pretty pictures while I took a break.
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.