Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Collage for Immortal Girls

Now Playing: The Cure - Cut and End 

Real quick: Happy Día de los Muertos! I guess that's technically tomorrow--or yesterday for Mexico--but celebrations can stretch out over the weekend. I haven't properly celebrated the holiday for a few years now, but I love Day of the Dead almost as much as I love Halloween. Also, happy start of NaNoWriMo for all participating writers! Here's to endless caffeine supplies.

Halloween was reallyyyy fun. Hung out with Ren and Silvia, then went to Maria Gabriela's house for scary movies and endless candy. I'll post pictures later in the week :D We all looked very cute, I assure you. And although this hasn't been the easiest season, I still love fall. Miami might not exactly bend to the colors of other autumns, but it still gets somewhat cool and shop windows and houses do their best to turn orange and brown and pretty, so it's something.

And of course, as this is the season that spans the length of Millennium Girl, I've been doing my best to continue revisions. At the same time, I've been continuing to develop Death Awakens. I finally get to start work on it as an "official" project.

With all this work piling up, I've found a ton of things to help me keep going.

Music

Mainly these guys:


I discovered newfound love and appreciation for The Cure. I needed a band to stick around with me through revisions, and while I love Nine Inch Nails, I already spent the first two drafts writing to their music. I needed something fresh (to me). While I'd heard The Cure before and even rank "Burn" as one of my favorite songs ever (and a giant influence on my book!), I hadn't taken the time to sit down and listen to their albums. Till now.

I'm also going through Peter Murphy's music. He's of the Gothic rock genre too, but I mostly ended up hearing about him because I found a ton of covers he did with Trent Reznor on a pre-show/live radio thing. Hearing Peter Murphy sing the NIN cover of "Dead Souls" is sooo magnificent. Plus, he's a great musician in his own right and has done a ton of awesome work. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" is awesome.

These are just a few of the songs I've been using to write:
  • The Cure
    • Burn
    • A Forest
    • Cut
    • End 
    • Fascination Street
    • Pictures of You
    • Apart
    • The Loudest Song
    • The Last Day of Summer
    • Bare
  • Peter Murphy with Nine Inch Nails
    • A Strange Kind of Love
    • Dead Souls
    • Atmosphere
    • Warm Leatherette
Oh, and of course I'm still listening to Lorde for Death Awakens. I went through her discography and a ton of her live performances just to keep hearing her vocals and lyrics. (Currently obsessing over "Glory and Gore.")

Books
Speaking of Peter Murphy and The Cure--I finally started reading Sandman! It's surprisingly difficult to orient myself with an American graphic novel after spending so many years reading Japanese mangas. My eyes scan the panels the wrong way at times--it can be very confusing. But I'm getting the hang of it and I'm loving it so far. I love Gaiman's Dream and Death, and there are times when the artwork is so beautiful, I have to stop reading and stare at the page for a good ten minutes.

Oh and even though these next books technically haven't been an inspiration for Millennium Girl, I did finally finish reading The Broken Empire series just this September. I think the second book, King of Thorns, is my favorite, and while I'm generally opposed to pulling out "quotable" lines and showcasing them around to be deep, there were two passages in KoT that made me pause, think, and copy them down. Mostly because they involved themes I (hope) am exploring in my own book.

I wrote them on the journal I'm using for revision notes of MG, but I can write them out here too.
"...We die a little every day and by degrees we're reborn into different men, older men in the same clothes, with the same scars."
 And,
"Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, captured in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man's memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail through his skull."
Mark Lawrence writes so beautifully. . . .

More recent reads have been Halloween-y. The Night Circus and then two Gaiman children's books, Coraline and The Graveyard Book.  I'm starting to develop a real affinity for dark fantasy. It wouldn't be so bad to make my mark in that genre one day.

TV shows

Few years ago--like, first semester of college or so--Giselle kept mentioning American Horror Story and I kept delaying watching it. We were going to watch it the same way we watched Once Upon a Time (by syncing up our videos and staying on the phone/Skype together) but we never got the chance.

Netflix has the first four or so seasons and this guy I know convinced me to start watching. And it's been great so far. Like most people, I fell in love with Tate and Violet from the beginning.
Those two are so cute. And I mean that in the most sincere way possible. Despite their. . .problems. Their massive, massive problems.

Although I'm not done catching up even with the available seasons. Still need to finish Murder House but I'm in no rush. I'm def. looking forward to Coven. Witches are my love :D

I also started watching Gotham just last Thursday. Netflix only has season one so I'm catching up. It's unexpected how quickly I grew to love the casting in that show--there's never a moment where I'm not captivated by these actors.


And ahhhh the cinematography. It's so breathtakingly gorgeous. And I don't often get to say that about. . .anything. I could watch the show over and over again just because it's so beautiful to look at.

Toys

Not much here except my baby Grim plushie. I showed it off last month already, but there's no harm in showing him off again! I tried to take a cool hispter pic with the second volume of Sandman opened in the background, but the angle and light came out weird. Sorry D: (But a few good panels showcasing Dream are always a good background).

Art

The Pinterest storyboards live on! Not a lot to report. There's just so much pretty.

(file names will have titles and/or artists names. Well--all except that last one. Can't find the artist.)

Anyways. That's all. Some silly cute things to start off November :D
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.