Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday Blog Challenge: Envisioning Your Life

Now Playing: Yoaf ft. Emily Browning - Where is My Mind? (Sucker Punch soundtrack)

Week 27: How You Envision Your Life To Be

My Life To Be. . . .

I don't like this question all too well >_> Mostly because I'm a pessimist. This entire blog attests to that. Even when I'm trying to be hopeful, I'm still mostly doing it with an aura of caution.

So I can answer this question one of two ways. Worst case scenario so the future that comes is inevitably better. Orrrr what I hope for and even sort of think may happen.

But I obsess so much over my future and my near-future and my possible soon-to-be-present that this post would end up about twenty pages in length if I tried to describe it all. I'd rather not write out a novel of all future hopes and wishes, so I'll keep it to the most basic. It's just an image and it comes from the part of me that's still widely optimistic about my future.

Which I was actually thinking about on Thursday while riding around the metromover. It was early in the morning, college students and business-y people moving around everywhere, the city barely just waking up. I was listening to an audiobook that came out just a few months ago, from a YA fantasy series that's. . .to be honest, kinda stupid and silly and my kind-of guilty pleasure. That may sound mean, but it's not so bad. It's a beloved series to a great many people and it relaxes me, somehow, despite knowing it's not great on an objective level.

Like I said, it's a mega popular series and even people who don't think that highly of it still flock to read it. It's just fun. Teenage girls are in love with it because it's such a pandering fantasy--and whenever I read it (or listen to it), I think about the author. She went to acquire an agent shortly after graduating university, but for that entire first year outside of school, she couldn't get a job. It was difficult and it was scary and yet now, ten million years later, she's got two ongoing series out.

I don't make it a habit to learn that much about authors, but I do on occasion look up an interview or two. And I think a lot about how their work schedule must be, how much they write a day, where they write, what they do to keep up with deadlines and reader pressure.

Anyways, it reminds me of what I want and what I still hope for. Which is basically this, part of my future, summarized in one moment: waking up (in my own super clean apartment), heading out to a cafe or a bookstore, and sitting down to write. Not my first novel, not rushing between errands, not worrying about loans and my current living situation. But an older-me, after one or two novels have been published, with some security and stability.

It's not too grandiose. Definitely don't see myself with a husband and kids and a white picket fence (eww). I hope for a car, but honestly, if that cafe is within walking distance, I'm not going to need one either. It's small but it's still very hopeful of me considering the publishing industry.

So that's how I envision my life: simple, stable, always writing, with a ready supply of caffeine.
~Becky

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 AM

    Hey, don't diss fences @_@ If white fences aren't your taste you can always have the sharp studded black fence with the sub husband dressed in leather. And.. uh... BDSM kids? @_@ But you catch my drift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hotel situation has your mind deep in the gutter, girl @_@ Go back to filming that orgy, I say.

      . . .though I do like the idea of a sub husband. . .

      This post just got dirty T_T

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:08 AM

    We are born from the gutter and we return to the gutter in the end @_@ amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Oops, I replied in the wrong place >_>

    ReplyDelete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.