Monday, November 2, 2015

Monday Excerpt: Silver Apples of the Moon

Now Playing: Jeremy Soule - Frostfall (Skyrim OST)

[Introduction].

(Quick note: I searched for hours but I've been unable to find the photographer for the picture. I'll keep looking, and when/if--hopefully when--I find it, I'll give credit here).

Here's something a little different.

Because November is a busy time--and because I want to give myself a little break after keeping up with the excerpts every Monday--I've decided to switch things up a bit. For this month, I'm going to put up other kinds of writing. Mainly, it's going to be poems or lyrics instead of little sections from books.

I've never been a poet, never even dreamed of writing lyrics, but that's a good reason as any to really pay attention to those forms. I'm not going to sit here and dissect the individual parts or analyze their meaning--I want to just showcase the words.

I've never been able to explain why I love W.B. Yeats's poetry so much, all I know is that this poem is one of my favorites.

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.
When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.
Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
- The Song of Wandering Aengus by William Butler Yeats

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.