Friday, December 11, 2015

SLOWPOKE

Now Playing: The Prodigy - The Day is My Enemy

As showcase number one of the fabulous, jet-setting life that I lead, I must admit I've been revising and rewriting my work this week all the while I've got a giant Hello Kitty band aid on my face.

What happened? You don't wanna know. Whatever it was, I deserved it. I deserve all of the punishment right now >_> Mostly for beING SO SLOWWWW.

Ugh! I've got two days left of being nineteen and am nowhere near where I wanted to be with Millennium Girl. It's the usual excuses. School got in the way, work got in the way--that's not acceptable, but it is understandable. I should have been revising in my downtime and instead I've been focusing on my reading challenge. (And I fell behind on that anyways! Three books. Three books. Must. Catch. Up). But neglecting my writing duties because of boys? Am I insane? Why would I do that?!

The real reason I'm angry isn't even because my own self-imposed deadline is so not getting met. It's because, for months now, I've been panicking about beta readers/critique partners. I kinda liked Critic Circle and got some good feedback out of it a few months ago, but it feels so. . .impersonal? There's no real way to correspond and work with people. And it's very unlikely many of them will stick around to read your work as a whole. I got great feedback on a now-distant version of Millennium Girl's first chapter, but I don't feel so great about going back.

It's the same with Absolute Write. I just can't get into those forums. Great feedback, like I said, but too impersonal, I think. I guess I got used to the workshops I had in university--talking and interacting with people and really getting to listen to them and work things out with them. Maybe that's asking for too much, but I'm really going to miss it.

So after  all that panic, all that "what am I going to do? Will I be a total dumbass and and just send a query without beta reader feedback?", a girl I've been corresponding with, Mila, has recently started to offer Beta Reader services on her blog.

AND I HAVE NOTHING TO SEND HER.

I kinda promised her I will. Soon. But a part of me is afraid I'm just going to let the moment pass me by and by the time MG is ready, she won't be interested anymore.

Must. Hurry. Up.

I'm probably not gonna get much writing done on Sunday. Somehow, thanks to the goodwill of fans everywhere, Silvia found some pretty good copies of the original Star Wars trilogy. Non-special edition. (Hopefully. My foolproof way of testing that is checking the opening scroll of the first film. If the subtitle--A New Hope--is not there, then you're probably good to go). So Sunday we're marathoning the original trilogy in preparation for The Force Awakens. I've seen them already but Ren and Silvia haven't. Plus, it's been a few years since I've watched them--five or so? Or well. I saw the first one again during university, but with Empire and Jedi it's been a while. I made my dad request the DVDs ages ago since Netflix had the original films.

We watched them all and I relieved my childhood. I'd already seen reruns of them while in Ecuador, when I was like six or seven, so I only somewhat remembered the plots. And I saw Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in theaters; thankfully, I was so young I didn't feel the full terrible impact of the prequels and I have no plans to rewatch them.

I'm really excited. I've been watching and rewatching the trailer for Force. Plus, I keep finding Carrie Fisher interviews (she's so cool) and I'm so in love with all the cast pictures I've found:


Ever since Mockingjay Part 2, I've decided I'll start to wear eyeliner whenever I go see a movie. Why? Who knows. Maybe my only real attempts to get dressed up and pretty will be exclusively for the film industry. After all, films are the loves of my life, next to books. (So I guess, to be fair, I'll wear lipstick to book releases or book signings. Just gotta buy one first. Black, of course).

Someone needs to hold me down before I throw everything out the window and start writing my own science fantasy space opera. (I'm talking to you two, Breathtaker, Serena).

Okay, okay. One thing at a time. . . .
~Becky

P.S: Another one of my main sources of procrastination has been Chuck Wendig. Specifically, his blog, Terrible Minds. I first stumbled across it when I read his review of Fury Road a few months back, but as of lately I've been going back to read as many entries as possible. He's so funny. I'm so in love with this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    @_@ ... I wanna know why bandaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's legit a really pathetic reason >_>

      Delete

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.