Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Disposable Teens

Now Playing: Marilyn Manson - Killing Strangers 

After I mentioned it on my last post, I AGAIN toyed with the idea that I could rename Death Awakens and reference a Marilyn Manson song. Except this time it'd be into Disposable Teens.

Thematically it fits better but I wasn't sure because it's not my favorite Manson song and seemed a little too obvious. (Is that dumb? Probz. I do like it well enough, but I really, really want to reference The Pale Emperor).

Then yesterday I was looking up some videos regarding the Columbine Shooting and I came across an interview Manson did where he talked about how easy it was for the public and the press to blame him for that kind of event. It got to a point where after Columbine he estimated he'd been blamed for around 36 different shootings. 

And like. 

Motherfuck. Now I'd feel bad if my book was just another, "devil's music linked to violent teens!" narrative perpetuated by the public and the media. I don't know if I'd reference the band in the book, but if I do, even if just in the title, it might not be as neutral towards Manson and us fans as I'd wish. 

Dammit. And here I just wanted my witches to have good taste in music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.