Thursday, March 2, 2017

Three Little Words

Now Playing: Highly Suspect - Bloodfeather

I'm so amused.

I hadn't checked Rainbow Rowell's website ever since I read Eleanor & Park on my second year of college, so I hadn't noticed she'd answered a question pertaining to the ending of the book.

Spoilers hereafter.

Well, actually, she spends a good chunk of the F.A.Q. avoiding the question, and her avoidance-answers are so amusing.

I'm of the opinion that there's no point asking an author a question like that because if they'd wanted to tell you something that's been omitted from the book, then it would have been in the book in the first place. (The one exception is probably when the great hand of the editor slaps you in the face for your insolence and removes shit for you but, uh, I don't know how common that is? I figured editors and writers just eventually learn to agree on things. For the most part.)

As a fellow writer, the final lines are kind of genius because of the possibilities. As purely a reader, it's fun to guess something positive, given Park's uplifting response to it:
  • I love you.
    • (Get the obvious one out of the way)
  • I miss you.
  • I am okay.
  • I'm better now.
  • I'm still alive.
  • Wait for me.
  • I'm still here.
  • I'll find you.
  • See you soon.
  • Come see me.
  • Come find me.
  • Be there soon.

Genius, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.