Friday, July 21, 2017

Everyone Seems to be Asleep

Now Playing: Nine Inch Nails - The Background World.

I--

Not to channel my inner uggs-wearing, Frap-buying, blonde-hair-tossing white girl, but I can't even with this new Nine Inch Nails EP.

I loved Not the Actual Events but hadn't even thought to consider it a concept album until Add Violence released at midnight. The threads on the subreddit for Nine Inch Nails discussing the concept--how it seems to point to a narrative about a man awakening from a simulation and the conflict arising against a machine--it's been so fucking cool.

And the more I listen to it, the more I love The Background World, loops and all. No less when someone said those loops happen 52 times. If there are 52 weeks in a year, does that mean the simulation/machine of the narrative is taking a year to disintegrate?

I DON'T KNOW BUT I LOVE IT--

Someone else commented on the YouTube release for This Isn't the Place and said it's like "The Fragile" and "Year Zero" are having slow, passionate sex.

Ho-ly shit, YES. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE.

WHICH MAKES THIS THE BEST THING EVER.

EPAIHRAPW'ERA'PWEHRAWR I LOVE THIS BAND.

I wonder if it is the "Bleedthrough" concept album Trent Reznor talked about, back before the actual concept album that was "Year Zero" released.

And I wonder if the theory that the narrative is being told end to beginning is true.

AND I WONDER WHAT THE FINAL EP WILL HOLD FOR US.

*bounces*

I've spent all morning writing to both of the EPs, and I'm soclosetotheend I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED AND READY TO END THIS DRAFT WITH A BATTLE AXE.

***

07/23/2017 - EDIT: Lolz, I just saw this post by Black__lotus on the NIN subreddit, and I had to quote it:
I'm addicted to the loop, each one is my last. I say to myself, "just one more" and "this is the last one. Then I'll listen to something else" but I can't turn it off. The urge to hear just one more loop, to follow it until completion. It's irresistible. And then, finally, you hit rock bottom, and everything is in disarray. 
This song is something else guys. I feel like a white girl who "just can't even."

Ditto, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Science and science fiction have done a kind of dance over the last century... The scientists make a finding. It inspires science fiction writers to write about it, and a host of young people read the science fiction and are excited, and inspired to become scientists...which they do, which then feeds again into another generation of science fiction and science..."
- Carl Sagan, in his message to future explorers of Mars.